What to look for on my Jotul F 118 Black Bear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesteelri

Feb 21, 2016
Lincoln, RI
The previous owner of our house left a Jotul F 118 CB Black Bear in the basement. We disconnected it from the chimney and would like to sell it, but aren't sure on the condition or how much we should ask for. It looks to be fairly solid and his family said he used it regularly.
20160218_224152.jpg 20160218_224217.jpg 20160218_224231.jpg 20160218_224252.jpg 20160218_224330.jpg
The lines on the sides worry me a bit. Im not sure if they are cracks.
I can take more pics if needed.
Thank you for your time.

This doesn't look like an F118CB, By the looks it's the original F118. It's going to take some investigating by cleaning up there to determine if they spilt something and that is a drip mark or if there is an issue inside. Take a wirebrush to that area and clean all of the ooze off there. Look carefully for a hole or crack at the top where the ooze starts.

Here in NH iron is worth about $25.00 per gross ton. That old 118 with cracked sides may fetch, oh, say $3.00 maybe? Not trying to be snarky, sorry, but sadly the world is full of cracked 118's. Replacement sides are no longer available, so really it's just time to move on I'm afraid. Good news is: it's time to go STOVE SHOPPNG YAY!

The sides of that stove are works of art, if nothing else save them and hang them up somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.