Q&A What to look for upon wood delivery ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have just rented a home with two fireplaces and I have a question. I am new to fireplaces and I am ordering my first cord of wood. What should I look for when the wood is delivered. To be frank- I wouldn't know if the wood was aged 2 months or 18 months (as advertised). Also- do I have to ask for smaller split pieces for kindling or do I purchase an axe and do it myself ? Finally- I assume there is a good way and a bad way to stack a cord or face cord of wood. Any tips outside of don't lean the pile against anything. I will be storing it in my garage.

Answer:

Wood which is seasoned will have cracks or checks on the ends- and will usually have bark falling off the wood (depends on species) . Also- it will be somewhat lighter in weight than green wood. If it burns with a sizzling sound- and water runs out the ends- it's too wet...You can buy cedar kindling at many garden centers. This- or other fire starter- will help you get going quickly. If you have any old 2x4 scraps- etc. sitting around- these are useful also.

Status
Not open for further replies.