what to look out for in used stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekeelan

Sep 23, 2006
We're looking into buying a (hopefully gently) used stove. Anything we should keep in mind when we look at one? Would they still be covered by the manufacturer since we're not the original owner?

Try to find a dealerthat carries the same stove. That way you can get parts if needed. Also, try to look at the new one to get familiar with what it should look like. That way you'll be able to determine if any bricks are missing, chipped, or parts warped. Look for signs of over firing. Cast stoves will get a sort of powdery white look on the outside. (I think steel will too?) Look for cracked glass. Chipped enamel if it's enameled. Broken soapstone if soap stone. Is it a CAT stove? Try to look at the CAT and see if it's clogged. If non-CAT, what condition are the burn tubes in. Are they warped? Another sign of overfiring. Bring a bright light and put inside if possible to look for leaks. That one might be tough to do. Well, that's all I can think of for now.

sweetkitties said:
We're looking into buying a (hopefully gently) used stove. Anything we should keep in mind when we look at one? Would they still be covered by the manufacturer since we're not the original owner?

At this time of the year, good bargains on used stoves start getting scarce and often go quickly. You might be better off getting a new stove. Assuming that you want to save some money, what is your budget for the stove? What size house are you heating? Is there a safe flue or chimney system already in place?

BeGreen, we don't have a specific budget, but our install is going to be very expensive (est. $3000) because it's an old Victorian with a very steep slate roof and a 25-30' chimney with an old cracked liner. That's why we're looking to save on the stove -- but only if it's not in such bad shape that it needs replacing in a few years. Our house is about 2200 sq feet and the downstairs is fairly open plan. We like the sound of soapstone and are leaning toward that, though I've never used one (our old rental had an Avalon that never kept us very warm, but it was a leaky house) -- maybe Woodstock Keystone, maybe Hearthstone Heritage or Phoenix. Sound like we're on the right track for our size space?

Get some quotes on a chimney relining with insulated stainless pipe. I would expect it to be below $2000. If it were me, I'd go for a new stove. You have lots of choices as mentioned in several other recent threads. The soapstone experts here will chime in on your choices. Soapstone looks great in an old home, but it sounds like there is a waiting list at Hearthstone already. Though there's one for sale now on eBay that looks good (located in New Hampshire). There are lots of nice cast iron stoves that would work for you and look nice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.