What to put on top of insulated basement floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
On the list for quite awhile has been to insulate the basement floor. I have considered using dri core with foam on top, but keep running into what to put on top. This is traditional basement where I sling wood around and do woodworking projects so I don't need or want "pretty" as much as I want durable. I do have plenty of height in the basement so I don't have to worry about it being too thick.

Any suggestions out there?

I had a garage that I converted into my master bedroom/family room. It was concrete and sloped to the old overhead door. I layed a VB, then 2" of foam, wire mesh, and then poured concrete on top of it all. Really easy and works great. We steel troweled the slab until it was burnt and then I later sealed it with a gloss sealer that made the colors jump out. Some places the pour was 3" thick and others it was 6" thick to level the slope.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Plywood? We have Shaw luxury vinyl tile in our basement over dricore, and it's ok. I was considering putting foam over the dricore, but furniture would leave a mark though the vinyl flooring. A more rigid flooring type wouldn't have that problem.

Maybe cork. I have friends that swear its tough, easy to stand on, and somewhat "self repairing".

For a tough working floor that looks good consider a rubber floor by Roppe or Pirelli. Marmoleum is pretty good stuff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.