what to replace a northstar with?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wobbles

Jan 18, 2008
Ontario Canada
hello,
In november we had a heat n'glo northstar installed, and from day one condensation formed on the pipe and we had lots of water leakage into the room. We think now that an air cooled chimney in our cold climate (northern ontario) is not the way to go. The dealer hasn't been able to figure it out and so is going to replace it with something else. So I am looking for suggestions, has to have a solid pack chimney, and we want to stay away from catalytic. We also really liked the look of the northstar with the arched doors as opposed to those fireplaces that have rectangular. I'm thinking the napoleon 6000 looks good but is too big, although I like the look of it (the room is roughly 20 x 30, for the whole house about 1600 main and 1200 basement). Not too thrilled with the size of the firebox in the bis models (and never checked to see if they are solid pack) Quadra 7100 with duravent chimney system and rsf opel were two that seem okay (although I think the opel needs the catalytic converter to be epa approved). I really need something that will be reliable and that WON'T LEAK!! Also cost could be an issue, I don't want to spend any more above and beyond what I have already. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

The Quad 7100 is very similar to the Northstar, in fact they are made in the same factory. Since you liked the Northstar I think you would like the 7100 just the same.

Juts for the record we install tons of NorthStars with the SL300 chimney around here without problems. It gets pretty damned cold here sometimes.

Cost - the 7100 is slightly more than the Northstar, and the SL300 chimney is relatively cheap, the DuraPlus (or any other insulated chimney) is going to cost a lot more.

Bis Tradition or smaller Bis Tradition CE both allow solid pack chimney and have arched door.
As well as their clones, Lennox Montecito Estate and smaller Montecito. All are non-catalytic.

Also Bis Ultima I think with arched door, and it Lennox clone (forget the name).

www.lennoxhearthproducts.com
(and from there you can also link to Security Chimney Co site for BIS fireplaces).

Bis Ultra is non-catalytic and has arched door.

The Bis Ultima/Lennox Brentwood I previously mentioned think is non-catalytic, but I am not sure. Read the owners manuals for those two to be sure.

Our dealer sells the Selkirk HE40, with the selkirk chimney, I have had a hard time finding any info on this fireplace other than the company website, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.