What to use for a weight on chimney brush?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junksta

Oct 13, 2006
Pinedale, AZ Elev. 6400'
Just bought a 6" brush to swab my stove pipe but can't think of something that weighs 20# to tie to the end. Any suggestions appreciated.

A warm home to you all this winter!!

a 20# dumbell?

I have to ask, partly because I'm getting ready to clean my liner for the first time, but just what do you need a 20# weight for?

Actually I was thinking of using a few 5# weights myself. The old window weights would be awesome if you can find them

MrGriz said:
I have to ask, partly because I'm getting ready to clean my liner for the first time, but just what do you need a 20# weight for?

I am dropping a brush with weight from the top down and pulling it up with rope. It's a nice easy straight shot down from the top. I'm jusy having a brainfart and can't think of anything around that has a weight of 20# (suggestested with brush) that will fit down a 6" pipe.

Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I just wasn't making the connection. I was planning to use either the fiberglass rods or a few sections of pvc pipe from the top.

A mid-sized terrier or beagle, or maybe a fat cat should weigh in about right. :)

I'd have to go with a terrier, I've got a non-cat stove ;-)

What about a plastic bottle filled with sand. A two liter might be too wide, but some of the water bottles I've seen are taller and narrower.

A milk jug full of water will give you 8 pounds. Put gravel in it and I'm sure youll have 20 pounds easy.

Wait you said 6" I was thinking of the plan to clean my 12" on out. Hmm. How about a brick or two in an old tube sock?

How about the biggest fishing weights/sinkers you can find (the lead balls). I've seen some that were almost the size of tennis balls. 3 or 4 of those and you should be good to go.

MrGriz said:
I'd have to go with a terrier, I've got a non-cat stove ;-)

What about a plastic bottle filled with sand. A two liter might be too wide, but some of the water bottles I've seen are taller and narrower.

Good idea MrGriz - except I think I will fill it with some of the well natured BS from this forum.LOL

A cannon ball for fishing downriggers. 15lbs are available in tackle shops. They are 4.25" in diam. Tie it close to your brush (within an inch) so it keeps it centered & does not become a wrecking ball in your chiminey!!! Custom cut your brush:RE thin it out so the 15 lbs will do. You may have to pull it up and down a few more times but hey you split wood so I know your in good shape. REMEMBER It will be like pulling up a bag of dog food hand over hand with your arms extended. Pending on the location on your roof. Hope its a valid suggestion & good LUCK. :)

skip the weight. Screw an eye hook to the bottom of the brush and attach a rope to the brush and pull it down towards the stove...Then pull it back up, then pull it back down.... etc...

Tip of the day: Place your shop vac over top of the baffle plate to suck the dust into and you won't have a big dusty mess.

That's how we usually do it. One on the roof (me) and one on the ground (Dad). We just work it back and forth the length of the chimney. Has worked great for the past 4 years we've done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.