What to use to clean the enamel finish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
I know a lot of you have enamel finish on your stoves so, what do you clean them with? The Resolute I have has an emamel finish in the color of dark bown but something got on the top so that it looks like sand is in different places and for the life of me can not get it all off. I was able to scrape some of it off with my fingernail but the rest seems to be in the enamel since it is not smooth but is like bumps all over so the sand like stuff is in between those bumps. I gently took a wire brush to the areas without it going away so thought maybe a cleaning agent would dissolve the stuff but not sure what is good on enamel or whatever the surface was put on in 1985 that is enamel like.
Any help will be appreciated.

It could be that the stove was overfired at some point. Extreme high heat can melt and bubble the ceramic finish. I wouldn't do much more than wipe it clean with a slightly damp cloth when the stove is cool.

It is a definitely something like cement powder that was dropped on the stove while in the garage for 10 years that did it sonce I can scrape some off with fingernail and comes off with the enamel underneath intact completely so not overfired.

No not overfired, it is some kind of sand like substance like cement that I could scrape off with fingernail but some of it is not coming up, most of it did come up.

In my opinion, the 25 years of heating and cooling
cycles have changed / damaged the surface
chemistry. It will not last forever under these
conditions, nevermind some direct contact damage.

If it was mine, I would completely refinish it
in the late spring after using an air blast medium to
remove the enamel.

It is your choice on the final finish to be applied. Of
course, only if the stove body and components are
without serious defect.

Good luck on this project.

It is a definitely something like cement powder that was dropped on the stove while in the garage for 10 years that did it sonce I can scrape some off with fingernail and comes off with the enamel underneath intact completely so not overfired.

OK, that's good news. Hard to see without a picture. :)

When the stove is cold, take a small towel or facecloth and dampen it in a vinegar and water solution. Put the damp towel on the area and let it soak the area for about 30 minutes. Then take a stiff plastic scrub brush and scrub vigorously. A plastic tuffy pad might also help.

BeGreen said:

OK, that's good news. Hard to see without a picture. :)

When the stove is cold, take a small towel or facecloth and dampen it in a vinegar and water solution. Put the damp towel on the area and let it soak the area for about 30 minutes. Then take a stiff plastic scrub brush and scrub vigorously. A plastic tuffy pad might also help.

Like minds thinking here. The vinegar is a very mild acid and will work on the "cement" as well as any protein or oil clue like material. I would use the scotchbrite pads. White in scotchbrite beige in Norton's line. These are available at sutobody supply stores. These are the nylon only pads without abrasives, they will scratch your stove. If and only if you don't get satisfaction, in an obscure spot try easy-off oven cleaner. Do a small spot and see what happens. If enamel is good, should be OK, but sometimes it will dull and affect the finish. Do all this with the oven at room temp. Regardless of product used wash several times with clean water before firing up and just expect some odor. Can't be avoided.

Let us know how you fair with this.

The enamel is in good condition, this stove is 24 years old but was only used for about 5 years and then relegated to the garage and they bought a new bigger VC model for a bigger house. they must have put a bag of cement or something on top. I will try the suggestion of vinegar and water ?50/50 and let sit for a while and then scrub with scrubby.
Not sure what " White in scotchbrite beige in Norton’s line." means White in scotchbrite in beige? what is Norton's line?

50/50 mix should work. A green, kitchen scotchbrite pad will do fine.

sandie said:
The enamel is in good condition, this stove is 24 years old but was only used for about 5 years and then relegated to the garage and they bought a new bigger VC model for a bigger house. they must have put a bag of cement or something on top. I will try the suggestion of vinegar and water ?50/50 and let sit for a while and then scrub with scrubby.
Not sure what " White in scotchbrite beige in Norton’s line." means White in scotchbrite in beige? what is Norton's line?

Sorry about being vague. Scotchbrite is the 3M brand of the nylon scouring pads. The grittiness is determined by color. White is nylon only, no grit for 3M, for Norton (another maker) it is beige. Do not use the scrubbie with any abrasive, it will scratch your stove, the nylon will clean, but not scratch (may even polish). As far as dilution, make it stronger than weaker, and let it sit for hours not minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.