What to use to clean the outside of my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smabon

Jan 29, 2009
Lunenburg, Ma
Just wondering what everyone uses to clean the outside of their stove. I have a Napoleon 1402 insert, was looking at it the other day getting ready for its first burn of the season and thought to myself that it is looking a bit dusty. Would like to give it a good once over before I start burning including cleaning the outside. I do have some Rutland fireplace glass cleaner that says that it can be used to clean steel or iron stove. Has anyone used this to clean their stove? What else can I use to clean my stove.

I have a Quadrafire Cumberland Gap stove with an enamel finish. I was told that I could put a coat of wax on it but I've yet to try that. I've only used a damp cloth with some dish soap in the past. If your stove is plain steel I'm not sure.

I just use a wet rag to clean off the dust on my insert, it seems to work fine.

I've found that a little white vinegar and hot water works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.