What tool(s) do you prefer for removing bark if tree is "green"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I burn it, attached or not. It has got to have some BTU value.

Mass_B, we do much the same. Good, dry bark is what we use with/as kindling on cold starts, oftentimes.
yes, 80% of the time it falls off when I'm loading for burn.compost bin is 6ft from wood pile.

In some areas it might be wise to debark as generally the bugs like that area just below the bark so this tends to evict them as well as keeping the wood police at bay. I fully remember the Elm die off and the rule was if keeping for fire wood it had to be debarked. De barking does speed up the drying process a bit, and yes it is a pita. There is a tool that can be attached to your chain saw for debarking. Several places carry it, not cheap.

That is a larger version , One I was refering to is the log wizard, prices vary from about $149-199 gets mounted on chainsaw bar. chain driven don't know anymore details.

I know this is a bit of an old thread but growing up my grandfather always 'rinded' the bark off the balsam fir and spruce firewood with an ax. Helped it to dry much quicker. I tried it myself this year and found that a similar piece with bark was around 25%mc and the debarked split was just over 15%mc.

Reactions: dotman17
I burn my bark as well. Provided it does not fall off first. If it does I will use it as kindling :). That said I am three years, at least, ahead in the stacks. No worries about whether I need it now.

Last edited:
Sun, wind, rain, time.
Time works fine but I have some 3 years old ash rounds that I can just barely peel the bark from. I have been processing about 2 wheel barrows full each day and I am using the bark as fill for holes in my lawn that the squirrels have dug. I really am getting to hate those darned tree rats.

Reactions: baseroom
... I am using the bark as fill for holes in my lawn that the squirrels have dug. I really am getting to hate those darned tree rats.

Sounds like a job for a good pellet gun or a 22...

I have been working on some "green" Black Locust and have been using a short hand axe. Is there another tool that might make the job easier? Also have some Hack berry and Poplar that have very tight bark.
If you have access to a power splitter, just splitting the wood into smaller sections will probably be easier and equally, or more, effective. Also direct sun and wind are very helpful. In the dry air of the Mountain West one can burn harvested wood (mostly fir and pine) after only one summer/fall season if split promptly and stacked in the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been working on some "green" Black Locust and have been using a short hand axe. Is there another tool that might make the job easier? Also have some Hack berry and Poplar that have very tight bark.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlene
If it's green I don't even try to remove bark. Only when it's been dead awhile and just falls off do I remove bark. Its just too darn messy at that stage.

My last log load was processed in some way that removed a lot of the bark. Aesthetically, it might not look that great. Plus, the logs were manhandled by a machine that caused some broken/shredded ends. Maybe it'll pay in the long run.

I've been chipping the bark that falls off and putting it on garden paths. Gathering the bark, dragging out the chipper, starting it, etc, is a pain. Plus, the bark is not burned. So, I guess, the debarked logs is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.