What tools would you buy first?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRedHoofbeats

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So, I'm well set with seasoned wood for this year (had to buy it, but yay! Seasoned wood, woohoo!). A few pieces are too big for my firebox, so they'll need to be whittled down a bit. I have a nice hatchet that should do fine.

I want to start getting wood for next year, obviously. I'm planning on outfitting myself for my birthday and Christmas, and not sure where to start. A chainsaw, obviously. My father in law has a nice big gas chainsaw that we can use for serious felling and bucking, so I was thinking I'd get a small electric chainsaw to use once I've gotten the wood home. Light, no vibration so easy on my wrists and hands, and it's what I'm familiar with. My dad swears by Poulans, what's the popular brand around here? (If anyone posts that Gucci chainsaw, I will hit you.)

We always used axes for splitting when I was growing up. Consensus on that vs. a maul and a wedge? Just different tools for different jobs, or is one better than the other?

The smaller and lighter the tool, the better. I'm pretty strong, but my hands are very small- my palm is a whopping three inches wide. I've split plenty of logs before, but my hands get sore from the handle being too big around, and I've never split anything close to four cords in a year. What do the other ladies here like to use?

ETA: Oh my God, they make pink hammers. *headdesk*

~Rose

1. Box of bandages
2. First Aid kit
3. Cellphone for calling 911

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
1. Box of bandages
2. First Air kit

-Soupy1957

NICE

Let me be the first to tell you get some chaps and a good pair of ear muffs. The kind that will keep you able to hear when you get my age. Too many people don't wear hearing protection when running a saw and then wind up hard of hearing.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
Let me be the first to tell you get some chaps and a good pair of ear muffs. The kind that will keep you able to hear when you get my age. Too many people don't wear hearing protection when running a saw and then wind up hard of hearing.

Shipper

This ^^^

Things that most people don't think of... about 4 years ago I didn't even know they made such a thing as saw chaps. Dad didn't know it either... and he's been cutting all his life. When I was in college I cut some wood at a friends (friend is 50+ y.o.) land for a camping trip. He told me where the saws were and told me to be sure to wear the chaps. "Wear the what?" "The protective chaps... in case you have an accident they protect your leg." "Oh, cool, didn't know they made those, I'll have to get my own." I told my dad about them, and he immediately ordered 5 pairs of Labonville chaps. I guess thats what you get just being firewood cutters, not exposed to the real-world cutters that often.

And hearing protection is a must as well... I wear it everytime I cut... well, almost. Every once in a while I'll miss a small branch or something when limbing and I'll fire the saw up and nip it off quick without putting my ear-pro back on; sound isn't too bad with a small saw, but still enough that repeated exposure will kill your hearing.

On eye-pro... I wear it when it's cooler out, but IMHO, it's more dangerous to wear glasses than to not wear them when it's warm. Why? Because I always sweat and they fog up or get dirt and such sticking to them and it makes it hard to see. I would much rather risk a small chip etc in my eye that needs washed out than a chainsaw injury because I couldn't see what I was doing. The best thing you can do in hot weather is get some of the "glasses" or a face shield with the screen in it, this won't fog but it will still protect you from chips etc (dust can still get through them sometimes).

So Rose do you take care of most of the wood burning, that is so cool, all you ladies are to be commended, my wife helped me when we were younger but she got old on me. :lol:

Definitely chaps. Like above, I'd skip the electric chainsaw. I believe that with an electric saw, even if the chain hits the chaps, the chain will keep turning. Thus making them a much more dangerous tool. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. This is what I've heard and what I can figure would happen with an electric saw. I would find a small gas saw that you like. As for brands of saws, 10 different people are going to give you 10 different opinions. The axe vs. maul is probably just finding what works best for you. It's hard to say. I use a combination of an axe, 8 lb. maul and a 16 lb. maul. Depends on what I'm splitting.

I keep a 3/4 hand ax in my basement for general splitting duty, if you have the stove in a finished area, forget it as it makes a mess but its handy in an unfinished basement.With regard to chaps, I gave my brother a pair years ago when he first started using chainsaws, he recently had to replace them as they were "wearing out" from too many hits. None of them serious looking but I expect they all would have required some treatment. If you are "vertically challenged, Labonville's chaps tend to be short (anyone over 5' 8 usually buys a "tall"

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
So, I'm well set with seasoned wood for this year (had to buy it, but yay! Seasoned wood, woohoo!). A few pieces are too big for my firebox, so they'll need to be whittled down a bit. I have a nice hatchet that should do fine.

I want to start getting wood for next year, obviously. I'm planning on outfitting myself for my birthday and Christmas, and not sure where to start. A chainsaw, obviously. My father in law has a nice big gas chainsaw that we can use for serious felling and bucking, so I was thinking I'd get a small electric chainsaw to use once I've gotten the wood home. Light, no vibration so easy on my wrists and hands, and it's what I'm familiar with. My dad swears by Poulans, what's the popular brand around here? (If anyone posts that Gucci chainsaw, I will hit you.)

We always used axes for splitting when I was growing up. Consensus on that vs. a maul and a wedge? Just different tools for different jobs, or is one better than the other?

The smaller and lighter the tool, the better. I'm pretty strong, but my hands are very small- my palm is a whopping three inches wide. I've split plenty of logs before, but my hands get sore from the handle being too big around, and I've never split anything close to four cords in a year. What do the other ladies here like to use?

ETA: Oh my God, they make pink hammers. *headdesk*

~Rose

Congratulations on finding some seasoned wood Rose. Perhaps my list will be a bit different from the others but that does not make them wrong or me right.

On the saw, Poulan can be okay for a saw but you can do better. I would not recommend an electric saw. A small Stihl with a short bar (16" or less) would work great for you. The smaller saws in the Stihl line also have the easy start feature which means the rope starter does not pull hard. You simply pull it a few times, without rolling over the motor. Then after a couple of pulls, the next time the motor will roll over and start. It really is simple and a nice tool for those who are not built like lumberjacks.

I also would not recommend you use a hatchet. Get yourself a good axe and learn how to sharpen it. Many on here like the Fiskar's axe but I don't. I like both a double bit and single bit axe. For the tough stuff, a sledge and wedge will do the trick or else save those for when you have some company to help out or maybe you know someone who has a hydraulic splitter.

I also would not want to see folks run a saw without ear protection but many do. They will pay for that later in life.

There you have the basic stuff for getting started. When you get to the point of felling trees and cutting up whole logs then you will also want a cant hook for moving the larger logs. Cant hook is much better than a peavey. You will want some more gear but no sense in bringing other tools in the conversation at this point.

Good luck and be careful.

soupy1957 said:
1. Box of bandages
2. First Aid kit

-Soupy1957
+1 lol

Shipper50 said:

Shipper

WHAT?

YOU MEAN THE KIND YOU WEAR WHEN YOU GO HUNTING THAT ALWAYS GET LEFT BEHIND?
Yeah I have some of those. =P

I do indeed do the woodcutting and burning around here, or at least plan to (my stove should be here on Friday, yay!). I did it a lot when I was growing up- just stuff for our firepit outside and the random tree that fell down. So I know the basic idea of how to (hit it until it falls into pieces small enough to carry), but not anything else.

Thanks guys!

~Rose

Hi Rose
Sounds like you want to work "smarter" not "harder"

If you are comfortable with an electric chain saw. That's the one you should get.
Noise is no a big issue & fairly safe.
BUT, not very portable.
If you find you have the need for a gas saw, go to a saw shop so you can get the one fit for you & your needs.
A good dealer & you'll be able to get some instruction & training on how to use it safely.

Sounds like you may be doing some splitting & re-splits.
One of the small electric , 5 ton splitters would probably best the one for you.
You can use it indoors. Easy to move around & store. I have a buddy who uses his for 12" - 16" diameter rounds & says it works fine.
He & his wife sometimes work in the garage, warm & easy to clean up the mess.
He has this model. Homelite from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ing-_-googleads&locStoreNum=1304&marketID=186

As the "wood getting" evolves, you'll know more about what will work for you & what you need to do it safely & efficiently.
I bet your father-in-law would be proud to help.

A good pair of leather gloves that fit. Comfortable pair of work boots. & Safety glasses.
Don't be like most of us guys who just grab the tool & go.
Read the manuals. They are loaded with great safety tips & useful information.

That you are here & asking good questions shows you are tough skinned & smart.

Work into this slow & easy, you are ahead of the curve already. You got wood before you got the stove. ;)

Tip: Taking the time to buck it to the "right" length before you get it home saves some time & effort. Then split it at home.
But this may require a gas powered saw and then no need for the electric at home.

As Backwoods Savage, I wouldn't use the hatchet for splitting (other than a bit of kindling). Hatchets are dangerous IMO. If you really swing one and miss, the blade can sink right into your leg. With the longer handle of an axe or maul, the blade hits the ground first. I also recommend trying one of the Fiskars splitting axes Supersplitter or Prosplitter. IMO the Supersplitter works as good as a maul & weighs 4.5lbs vs 6 or 8 lbs for the maul. Prosplitter is lighter still. There are similar tools out there, but if you get a Fiskars you get free membership in the cult, er, club. :) I find regular axes stick in the wood too much. Leather gloves may help the hands some.
I've never used an electric splitter, but if you don't want to hand-split, they are much cheaper than hydraulic & many are pleased with them, they just won't handle the big, gnarly stuff.
Electric saws are low maintenance & cheap, but can only be used in the yard. Any sizeable wood is pretty tough to get to your yard before cutting, so it'd only be usefull in cutting small limbs & branches. +1 on the suggestion of the small gas Stihl, which you could also use out where you're felling & bucking and on getting the chaps, ear & eye protection and steel-toe boots before you get into cutting. Really, with use of the FIL's saw, you could wait on the saw purchase (& all the PPE) if funds are stressed.
A log carrier (like this one http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firep...vy-Weight-Canvas-Log-Carrier-with-Closed-Ends) is handy for bringing in a stoveload or 2 of wood & keeping the mess from getting all over the place. Also a pair of long-cuffed welders gloves let you load the stove AND keep your sleeves/arms unburned. You'll pay twice the price if they're called fireplace gloves.

I wouldn't start a saw without chaps on and the little extra Labonville costs are well worth it.
Gloves with fitted wrists. The gauntlet style are chip funnels.
A wedge to keep your saw from getting pinched. Many wedges if you are going to fell trees.
Eye protection, either safety goggles or a face shield
Hearing protection
Steel toe boots if not kevlar
If you get a saw, I would buy a gas one for versatility. Get one with good anti-vibe so that eliminates all of the Poulans! I would find a dealer you are comfortable with, most likely Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Efco or Dolmar. I got to use an easy start Dolmar 5105 last week and that was really nice but I know you can find that feature in non pro saws as well.

Have fun!!

CountryBoy19 said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

This ^^^

Things that most people don't think of... about 4 years ago I didn't even know they made such a thing as saw chaps. Dad didn't know it either... and he's been cutting all his life. When I was in college I cut some wood at a friends (friend is 50+ y.o.) land for a camping trip. He told me where the saws were and told me to be sure to wear the chaps. "Wear the what?" "The protective chaps... in case you have an accident they protect your leg." "Oh, cool, didn't know they made those, I'll have to get my own." I told my dad about them, and he immediately ordered 5 pairs of Labonville chaps. I guess thats what you get just being firewood cutters, not exposed to the real-world cutters that often.

And hearing protection is a must as well... I wear it everytime I cut... well, almost. Every once in a while I'll miss a small branch or something when limbing and I'll fire the saw up and nip it off quick without putting my ear-pro back on; sound isn't too bad with a small saw, but still enough that repeated exposure will kill your hearing.

On eye-pro... I wear it when it's cooler out, but IMHO, it's more dangerous to wear glasses than to not wear them when it's warm. Why? Because I always sweat and they fog up or get dirt and such sticking to them and it makes it hard to see. I would much rather risk a small chip etc in my eye that needs washed out than a chainsaw injury because I couldn't see what I was doing. The best thing you can do in hot weather is get some of the "glasses" or a face shield with the screen in it, this won't fog but it will still protect you from chips etc (dust can still get through them sometimes).

I agree ^^^

CountryBoy

I too have problem with safety glasses I got one of these and love it http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=B19688&catID=140 90% + of my trees are on the ground before I start the saw. But I started using the mesh face pieces and ear muff combo and I don't want to even start the saw without it. I do use the hard hat face screen muffs when felling but the other one for everything else.

Billy

So many tools . . . so little time.

The problem is we tend to see a lot of tools and think we need all of them . . .

I guess the basics for me would include a gasoline-powered saw, maul/Fiskars ax (although I really do prefer my hydraulic splitter and might echo the other poster who suggested renting one of these when needed), pulp hook, files for sharpening the saw or extra chains, Scrench for maintaining the bar and chain on the saw, fuel/oil jugs and a trailer/means to move the wood around (i.e. out of the woods, to the home, around the home, etc.)

I HIGHLY recommend an electric saw for cutting at home, unless you like breathing exhaust fumes, screwing around with carburetors, mixing gas and oil, etc. The Makita electrics are excellent saws. I buck all 2.5 cords of my wood every year with my UC4000, even though I have gas saws that are more powerful. The Makita has adequate power for 12-14" diameter wood (which is about as big as we have here in the Southwest), is quiet, vibration-free, and when you get done using it you won't have that awful taste in your mouth and reek of 2-cycle exhaust.

Get a 10 or 12 gauge cord for it, replace the standard safety chain with something like Woodland Pro 30LP from Bailey's, put together a saw horse to elevate the logs, and you're in business. And your body will thank you for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.