WHAT TOPPINGS DO U WANT ON YOUR STOVE?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
What can I put on my cream colored VC Intrepid to add moisture 2 the air? :grrr:

VC used to sell enameled steamers that matched! If they do not any more (and I suspect they may not), get a black enamel one from John Wright. It is nice to have the warming shelves if you do this so you can move the steamer over to there when you load to stove.

Putting something heavy, like a water-filled cast iron steamer, on a toploading stove is a PITA. Where do you put the 200 degree, 20lb. steamer temporarily each time the stove needs to be reloaded?

BeGreen said:
Putting something heavy, like a water-filled cast iron steamer, on a toploading stove is a PITA. Where do you put the 200 degree, 20lb. steamer temporarily each time the stove needs to be reloaded?

BG has got it. That is one particular reason I do not use the top load feature of my stove. PIA indeed. I even kept a trivet (steel) next to the stove to set the pot on. Was still not a handy thing to do. So now, I just open the double front doors, throw in my fuel load and close the doors. The top load option doesn't even come to mind.

I HAVE to add humidity somehow, and the stove is the best option, so I just work around it.

Interesting. I've kept a very large kettle on my VC stoves as long as I've had them. I originally got it when I had a front/side loader and when we got the top loader we just put it on there. One thing that helps a lot is that we also have the warming shelf on the stove. When we are loading we just slide the kettle over to the side, load and slide it back over the griddle. It works and has not been a problem for us, including wife/daughter.
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pro...2542&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=tea+kettle

The large one is nice..

A kettle is much more convenient and safer because it has a handle. And warming shelves make it sooo much better. With a setup like that I could see it working out ok. A kettle is also way less likely to spill liquid on the hot stove which is a sure way to hurt a porcelain finish. But with the large casserole-like steamers, uh uh.

A cowbnoy coffee pot
Tea, hot cocoa, coffee when the power goes out.

That's the idea! You know you can boil and cook almost anything on one of these babys!
Add a few oil lanterns, an outhouse and a good companion and you have heaven..
Just like the "ole" days.

I have a VC Intrepid and love the top load. I also put a pot of water on top of it to help add humidity. In my case I find it easy to just sent the pot on the hearth next to or under the stove when I re-load. I don't notice an issue, but when I re-load I usually need to re-fill the pot anyway. My hearth is also a solid concrete block so I'm not too worried about the temporary extra heat from the pot.

I want some fresh mixed flour with maranara sauce motizarrelli cheese and sweet italian sausage and onions on my stove top! immmm,yummy!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.