What tree did this come from?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Pinecone-large.gif

I can just about picture it. Many will want to say pine. Okay, but what pine?

thats a pretty long cone you got there. I have no guess on tree species, but I bet its a fairly large one. Thats about 2X the size of any white or yellow pinecone around here.

fir tree?

Backwoods Savage said:
Pinecone-large.gif

I can just about picture it. Many will want to say pine. Okay, but what pine?

Austrian Pine, thats my guess.

zap

I should have posted that I picked these up in northern California. I looked all over the area but could not determine what tree they came from. The ground was pretty steep there so it may have fallen from a long ways up the mountain.

Backwoods Savage said:
I should have posted that I picked these up in northern California. I looked all over the area but could not determine what tree they came from. The ground was pretty steep there so it may have fallen from a long ways up the mountain.

STil going with fir....lol

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1279919239"]I should have posted that I picked these up in northern California.

Sugar Pine. Sav found this on the net, always late to the show.

http://www.pineconefestival.com/facts.html

zap

Attachments

• SugarPine1.jpg
    SugarPine1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 320
Adios Pantalones said:
Sugar pine: they grow in mountainous parts of OR and CA, and the cones get that big (up to 24"!!!).

good answer

Dennis- how much would you guess that thing weighs? When camping I always make sure I dont pitch tent under "widow maker" branches, but I bet one of those bad boys falling from 100ft+ could really be bothersome.

Adios Pantalones said:
Sugar pine: they grow in mountainous parts of OR and CA, and the cones get that big (up to 24"!!!).

Adios good call.

zap

zapny said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Adios good call.

zap

you had it to, about 2 sec's late lol

Adios Pantalones said:
LOL- I'm sure we crossed posts

Yes, my old coach always said if you only were a step faster. :coolgrin:

zap

zapny said:
Adios Pantalones said:
LOL- I'm sure we crossed posts

Yes, my old coach always said if you only were a step faster. :coolgrin:

zap

Yep are coach always said to white to fight and too thin to win....He was a funny man, with a good team!

I know pine burns hot and fast....could you imagine tossing that into the stove?

Skier76 said:
I know pine burns hot and fast....could you imagine tossing that into the stove?

Skier76 any damage your way from the last storm? Went north and south of us.

zap

Zap,
In CT we dodged the bullet. The storms hit north and south of us...just some heavy rain and rumbles of thunder. I know other people had it way way way worse than we did. I'm sure they're still cleaning up.

I'll report back regarding VT; heading up tonight. No calls from the neighbors, so that usually means nothing fell on the house. :lol:

Delta-T said:
Dennis- how much would you guess that thing weighs? When camping I always make sure I dont pitch tent under "widow maker" branches, but I bet one of those bad boys falling from 100ft+ could really be bothersome.

Actually it is very light. Pretty much like the cones we have around here. I doubt it would do any damage but still, I wouldn't want one dropping onto my head!

Hey Dennis, Those look like cones from Sugar Pines. I saw a bunch of them on the ground in Yosemite when I was out there several years ago. I remember remarking about long they were, some were over 14". I would have brought some home but they had way too much sap on them. Instead I grabbed some smaller ones, about 7"or 8" long and much wider and fuller. We have them in a basket as a decoration, people still ask, "where did you find such large pine cones" and then I'll tell them the story of the sugar pine cones that dwarf these.

Status
Not open for further replies.