What Type & How Much Oil for Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
I'm about to take my Rancher 455 out of service for a few months in favor of my Sthill MS 441. As I understand the best thing to do, along with emptying the fuel tank and running the carb dry, is to remove the plug put some oil into the cylinder and pull the starter cord a couple of times then replace the plug.

What kind of oil, 2 stroke 30wt or what, and, how much should I put in the cylinder?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Ralph said:
I'm about to take my Rancher 455 out of service for a few months in favor of my Sthill MS 441. As I understand the best thing to do, along with emptying the fuel tank and running the carb dry, is to remove the plug put some oil into the cylinder and pull the starter cord a couple of times then replace the plug.

What kind of oil, 2 stroke 30wt or what, and, how much should I put in the cylinder?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

they sell a foaming oil just for that at the parts stores. do a good search. or go to auto store, supposed to be great stuff.

Ralph said:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Just run it out of gas and store it someplace dry. You can skip the oil in the cylinder. Then sell it. Or give it away. Or whatever.

Ralph said:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Seafoam in the aerosol can. Follow the directions on the back of the can for "engine fogging."

Maybe I'm just special but I generally don't do anything to the yard equipment. Put it in storage and take it out the next time I need it, that might be tomorrow or 6 months.

NATE379 said:
Maybe I'm just special but I generally don't do anything to the yard equipment. Put it in storage and take it out the next time I need it, that might be tomorrow or 6 months.
Does your gas have ethanol in it in Alaska?

NATE379 said:

Maybe we're both special . . . I do the same . . . although I sometimes put a bit of StarTron in my sled when it is sitting over the spring, summer and fall . . . I tend to use up and go through more gas for the saw (both in the tank and in my gas "can") so for whatever reason I've never bothered treating this fuel and I've been fine . . . so far. I probably should get in the habit of putting a bit of ST into the saw.

I just pour the gas out of the tank and put them on the shelf. Not enough gas left in the carb to hurt anything. I don't like to run 2 stroke motors dry, even at idle. The lube is in the fuel, no fuel, no lube.
To each his own.

It's nice to be able to turn it over to empty.
Too bad that can't be done with the lawn tractor. :)

kettensäge said:
The lube is in the fuel, no fuel, no lube.
To each his own.

Yeah, I thought about that after reading the article. I'm what ya call slow smart. I get it figured out but sometimes it takes me a while.

Ralph said:
kettensäge said:
To each his own.

Yeah, I thought about that after reading the article. I'm what ya call slow smart. I get it figured out but sometimes it takes me a while.

Run it out of gas - the engine runs out of gas and lube at the EXACT same time

Nope
StuckInTheMuck said:
NATE379 said:
Does your gas have ethanol in it in Alaska?

NATE379 said:

probably why your lawn tractor was fu-ed up last year and you needed advice to fix it.

Bigg_Redd said:
Ralph said:
kettensäge said:
To each his own.

Run it out of gas - the engine runs out of gas and lube at the EXACT same time

At idle, probably not a bad thing. In the middle of a cut the saw will run lean for a few seconds before you even realize your out of lube. . er, gas.
Even during normal cutting, I don't wait for it to begin to sputter.
YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.