What type of 4" Pipe for OAK (Outside Air Kit)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
I'm installing a Jotul F600 Firelight CB Woodstove and for a number of reasons I'll be installing the Outside Air Kit.
Jotul recommends 4" metallic pipe for the OAK. The stove will be in the center of the house so the OAK will go out of the back of the stove, elbow down through the floor (into the vented crawl space) and then go through the closest foundation wall. What type of pipe should I use for the OAK. I'd like something that I can paint and something that doesn't ugly up the install and hearth.

THANKS!

I used the semi rigid dryer vent from HD. It can be bent to fit and is aluminum. Due to the corrugations (hard word to spell) the paintability might be poor but it looks fine as bare metal. You can bend it into a pretty tight radius which would eliminate the need for an elbow.

Mine goes into my vented crawlspace where it just ends below the insulation. Why would you run it to the outside? I see it as a fantastic way to improve the ventilation of the crawlspace 24/7/365 since the thing always flows air.

I'm not positive but I thought I remembered seeing the outside air connection on the back underside of the stove. If so, no elbow should be required. It should already be pointing downward. Can someone who has an F600 confirm or correct me on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.