What type of chimney brush do I need for flex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhone

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2005
I have 6" rigid & 6" flex. I went to order a Poly chimney cleaning brush and read a warning it's too hard and will destroy flex pipe. I then didn't find another type to use on flex. What kind do people use on 6" flex pipe, I need it to clean rigid & flex, and make some 30 degree bends. If someone has a link to a site to order one, that would be helpful I also need the rods that bend. Thanks

I can't find the thread, Rhone, but I know there was some discussion of that here. I used the Poly brush on the 6" liner and it seemed to do a fine job. The poly bristles really don't seem like they could hurt a SS liner. If I remember right, the concensus was to use a poly brush rather than a metal on the flex liners.

Yeah, I always thought it was Poly for stainless, metal on masonry. Then I go to buy a poly brush and it says it can't go around bends, and will destroy flex pipe. It could be that site copied & pasted their "metal" brush description, I just want to be sure that there isn't a stiff or soft poly brush one used for rigid stainless and soft used for flex.

I ran the poly brush down my flex on a 6 inch liner, worked great! I got my setup from ace and it was about 50 bucks for 4 or 5 fiberglass rods and the brush. After cleaning the brush still was like new. Good luck.

Rhonemas said:
Yeah, I always thought it was Poly for stainless, metal on masonry. Then I go to buy a poly brush and it says it can't go around bends, and will destroy flex pipe. It could be that site copied & pasted their "metal" brush description, I just want to be sure that there isn't a stiff or soft poly brush one used for rigid stainless and soft used for flex.

I cant imagine why they would say the poly cant go around bends - the brushes are flexible - though thicker diameter than a wire brush - but the do have plenty of flex to them. When we did one of the donor stoves - We used my poly brush (that was 6" rigid)... it had no problems handling that part either - so I would think that would be fine to go through both of your sections of pipe.

I use a Poly brush and it works great

I have them both. They both go around the 90 degree turn where the liner is pulled through the thimble for the basement stove. The wire one does a better cleaning job because it has more and finer bristles than the poly one.

My metal brush says for s.s. liners on the box.
I have rigid with flex at the bottom, worked great. I don't have much of an curve in the flex. It made it all the way to the stove outlet opening :)
Cleaned that stainless up real well :)

I got the poly brush from Ace Hardware, it was the best price I could find once I added in shipping costs. It worked fine on my SS liner, though mine is pretty straight. I used the PVC electrical conduit for rods, cost less for my 30' rod than one 3' section of the fancy fiberglass rods would have.

Gooserider

I brushed by insert from the bottom up today (~30') with flexible rods.
Last time I used a poly brush-it was hard to push in spots.
This time I used a metal brush and it was easier to get to the top.
I'm sticking with metal 'cause I had to push the poly brush real hard the last time.

velvetfoot said:
I brushed by insert from the bottom up today (~30') with flexible rods.
Last time I used a poly brush-it was hard to push in spots.
This time I used a metal brush and it was easier to get to the top.
I'm sticking with metal 'cause I had to push the poly brush real hard the last time.

I used a poly and it was a bear to push up the first time. I pulled it back down and pushed up again and had no trouble at all - mostly because I got 90% of the crud on the first pass :coolsmile: The only time I've cleaned since I got the brush it was WAY past due with the smoke dragon. In the future I'll have the newer Encore, and hopefully have very little crud to deal with, and thus an easy push each time...

Gooserider

What's a "natural" brush? My Forever Flex liner manual says to use a "nylon, poly, or natural bristle brush" Is there something we are all missing?????

A "Natural" brush is one that's made out of this really weird old timey stuff that used to be alive - like plants :lol: ... I'm not sure just what variety of material it would be to get the stiffness needed for a chimney brush, but probably not all that different from a traditional "corn straw" broom. I would probably tend to go with a poly brush, but probably doesn't make much difference. For a person just doing their own chimney, none are going to wear out any time soon.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
A "Natural" brush is one that's made out of this really weird old timey stuff that used to be alive -

Gooserider

Now I'm picturing a road-kill porcupine on a stick :ahhh:

Harley said:
Gooserider said:
A "Natural" brush is one that's made out of this really weird old timey stuff that used to be alive -

Gooserider

Now I'm picturing a road-kill porcupine on a stick :ahhh:

I have had the best luck with the rope method with porcupines. Locating the small ones for use in flex liners is kinda difficult but the fully grown ones work well in tile flues.

BrotherBart said:
I have had the best luck with the rope method with porcupines. Locating the small ones for use in flex liners is kinda difficult but the fully grown ones work well in tile flues.

OK, BB.. - came home this afternoon and found this little guy wandering out in the back yard - I think he would work for a 6'"-8" liner. In about a year - he should be ready to do flue tiles. Want me to ship him down to you?

Attachments

• brush 3.JPG
    brush 3.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 429
  • brush 1.JPG
    brush 1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 421
Harley said:
BrotherBart said:

OK, BB.. - came home this afternoon and found this little guy wandering out in the back yard - I think he would work for a 6'"-8" liner. In about a year - he should be ready to do flue tiles. Want me to ship him down to you?

You bet. They are getting hard to find around here. :lol:

Just so everyone knows - that 'lil one wandered off back into the woods after it's photo session (still looking for work as a chimney sweep, I'd guess). The close-up shot was close up - I tried to get a cute cuddly face picture of it, but it kept turning around - they do mak a wierd "grunting" noise when they get PO'd - I think it tried to swat me with the tail a few times, but they don't have too many of the big barbs in there. Maybe I'll just start a trail of food pointing south - he/she should be there for the spring cleaning of the chinmey, BB - so you should be all set.

A brief musical interlude seems called for....

The Hedgehog Can Never Be Buggered At All v2.0

Words - Heather Wood, copyright 1993 or thereabouts
Tune - Boni Dundee Trad (Or so I'm told).

from the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett

This version from L-space, but Google shows lots of listings...

You can bugger the bear, if you do it with care,
in the winter, when he is asleep in his lair,
Though I would not advise it in spring or in fall--
but the hedgehog can never be buggered at all.
If you're feeling quite coarse, you can bugger the horse,
or the palfrey, the jennet, the stallion (with force),
You can bugger the donkey, the mare, or the mule,
Though to bugger the pony is needlessly cruel.
You can bugger the ox (if you stand on a box)
And vulpologists say you can bugger the fox,
You can bugger the shrew, though it's awfully small--
but the hedgehog cvan never be buggered at all.
Herptologists gasp you can bugger the asp,
Entymologists claim you can bugger the wasp.
If an insects your thing, man, then just have a ball--
But the hedgehog can never be buggered at all.
And the elephant too, that you meet in the zoo,
Can be buggered if you are sure just what to do,
You will need a large mattress upon which to fall--
but the hedgehog cvan never be buggered at all.
You can bugger the bees if your down on your knees,
You can bugger the termites with terminal ease
you can bugger the beetle, the ladybug (bird!) too,
there's no end to the buggering that you can do.
You can bugger the cat if it isn't to fat
You can bugger the rabbit you draw from your hat
You can bugger the shark that you've chased in your yawl--
You can bugger the ermine, and all other vermine,
like rats, mice, and roaches, if your not discernin'.
You can bugger the dog, it will come when you call--
Although Mr. Tiggy is not very big, he
Avoids with great ease those who fancy his arse.
He just curls in a ball, shows his prickles and all--
And the would-be seducer leaves himin the grass
If you're that kind of fool, and you have a long tool,
Do it with a giraffe, if you stand on a stool,
Catch a yeti, who lives in the snows of Nepal--
For the hedgehog escapes the posterior rapes
Performed upon others of different shapes
Those who run, swim, or slither, they get it withal--
It is said, if you try, you can bugger the fly,
Or the swallow as it skims so skilfully by,
Use a noose or a net, or lime (if you've the gall)--
but the hedgehog can never be buggered at all
You can bugger the cow (I will not tell you how),
Or the boar, or the piglet, the shoat or the sow,
You can bugger the ass as it stands in the stall--
You can order or shoo 'im, or run a knife through 'im
The one thing you cannot do is stick it to 'im.
If you try to seduce 'im, you'll end in a fix,
His prickles defend him against rampant pricks.
You can bugger the ram, you can bugger the lamb,
You can bugger the ewe, though the wether's a sham,
You can bugger the tiger (it may caterwaul)
You can bugger the seal, you can bugger the eel,
You can bugger the crab, though they say it can't feel,
You can bugger the bat as the night casts its pall,
You can bugger the snake (hold it down with a rake),
Though to bugger the quetzal may be a mistake.
You can bugger the billy, the nanny the kid,
But to bugger the hedeghog just cannot be did.
You can bugger the slug, though it messes the rug,
You can bugger the different species of bug,
Or do it with a snail, if you slow to a crawl,
At the end of the day, when you've had your rough way
With all of those creatures, you'll just have to say
"That damned Erinaceous has been my downfall--"
For the hedgehog can never be buggered at all!

Attachments

• hedgehog-music.jpg
    hedgehog-music.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 279
I thought "buggery" was a punishable crime in some places? %-P

Yes, but in the case of a hedgehog the penalty is self-inflicted....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.