What type of fisher stove is this and is it worth anything?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossy

Jan 2, 2012
Northern Minnesota
This stove is 25 1/2 inches wide and 31 inches deep. I think it is a grandma stove, but I haven't seen any like it. I am assuming it is a newer model than others posted. It has a top vent and glass doors. It does have fisher printed on the front door. It is not warped and it is pretty tight. Seems like it is in great shape, although it is painted silver.

Attachments

• PC310888 (625x640).jpg
    PC310888 (625x640).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,247
Moved this over to the classic stoves room.

Coaly is great w/ the fishers. He'll get you straightened out.

pen

Grandma IV
Should be Metallic Brown. They came in black too, but if you're going to paint one, brown looks best. IMO.......

There was a III before that, pictured below with smaller glass area, and horizontal glass top. The IV was near the end of production.

Attachments

• Grandma IV.jpg
    Grandma IV.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,527
  • Grandma Glass IV.jpg
    Grandma Glass IV.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,057
  • Tannersville 83 ebay sold $1626.jpg
    Tannersville 83 ebay sold $1626.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Grandma IV 3.jpg
    Grandma IV 3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,117
There was a IV Insert with those doors (notice the larger air space between stove box and jacket at top vent) and later a Tech IV Insert made in Roanoke VA.

Attachments

• Insert IV.jpg
    Insert IV.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 815
  • Insert IV open.jpg
    Insert IV open.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 801
  • Fisher Tech IV Insert.jpg
    Fisher Tech IV Insert.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 831
Ii've given up on keeping up with prices and values. They're worth whatever someone's willing to pay.
Here's one just posted on eBay from Finest Fishers on this Forum for 1,400. Any member here can message him for a $200 discount. Painted yesterday, rear shield not attached yet. (Best to move or ship with it removed)
Notice this has the standard cast legs, yours has the "Fireplace legs". Other options were cast scroll, and cast bear legs. This stove model and all leg options can be found in the "Everything Fisher" thread.

Attachments

• grandma IV inspection 015.jpg
    grandma IV inspection 015.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 754
  • grandma IV inspection 021.jpg
    grandma IV inspection 021.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 725
  • grandma IV inspection air damper support 008.jpg
    grandma IV inspection air damper support 008.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 721
  • GM IV Finest Fishers 1.jpg
    GM IV Finest Fishers 1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 756
  • GM IV Finest Fishers 3.jpg
    GM IV Finest Fishers 3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 739
  • GM IV Finest Fishers 7.jpg
    GM IV Finest Fishers 7.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 761
coaly said:
Grandma IV
Should be Metallic Brown. They came in black too, but if you're going to paint one, brown looks best. IMO.......

There was a III before that, pictured below with smaller glass area, and horizontal glass top. The IV was near the end of production.

Coaly - I am new to the forum, you are amazing with your knowledge on these Fisher stoves, I also believe that I have one of these stoves but can not find any tag on the year - Does one exist?

I just picked my stove up last weekend from a friend who had it sitting in her garage for many years collecting dust. It looks like the Ebay one pictured but mine has bear claw feet. Could this be a Grandma III - 1983?

Question - Can I use this stove with 6in chimney? It would be up 6ft then out the wall, then does a 90 up for an additional 20 feet. ~ 2.5 ft above the peak. Chimney is a dura-vent class A triple wall.

The III and IV should have a Listing Tag. Showing it was "listed as being tested" by one of the test labs. This was a big problem in the early days since eastern states didn't recognize Northwest Testing Labs, then Canada..... and finally the standardized UL. Below is a picture of one of the first III tags on the rear shield that went 3/4 the way up the back. The later III had a larger tag with clearances shown in diagram. The early IV had them on the back as well, (I've seen on 82's) then went to the right side.

The larger glass panel that follows the door contour distinguishes the IV from III.
The brown one shown above with the kettle is the III with smaller glass.

The III does not correspond with the year 1983. Nor does the IV correspond with 1984.
There were revisions on prints April 1977 adding a bottom and rear heat shield to a Mama and Papa. The name on those shield prints (a single page for each part) has a II behind Mama and Papa. The stoves were built the same, and the add on shield was 20 ga. cold rolled steel, cut, bent and bolted on to become the II. The III (Fireplace Series 2 door only) started in 1980 with arched doors and bent corner "wrap around" box. The earliest IV I've seen is 1982.
I'd like to obtain the blueprint drawings of the IV, but that's not an indication of when they started building them. Some drawings are not always dated, very frustrating, and that only gives a date they were drawn. Once sent to fabricators, shop set up to make the model and actually produce them could be quite some time from the drawing date.

The serial number on the UL tag also does not correspond with the "stove number" if written in weld on the bottom. Only a few fabricators did this. This number was in sequence as they were built. NY stamped the back. ####NY

Attachments

• Grandma 1-28-80 tag.jpg
    Grandma 1-28-80 tag.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 691
  • Grandma III 7.jpg
    Grandma III 7.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 655
  • Grandma Tag 1982.jpg
    Grandma Tag 1982.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 666
Technically the chimney must be the same size as stove outlet or larger. You can't reduce legally by NFPA 211 Standard in US. Not saying it won't work, and many do. You could get into a poor drafting chimney that gives you problems with smoke rolling in when doors are opened fast. It will also limit the output being choked off with a smaller exhaust. May not be a factor since most rarely run the stove near it's potential.
Your chimney was the type and brand Fisher recommended and sold with the Bear Series.

Coaly Thank you so much for the info and helping me figure out what stove I have - unfortunately the stove has no identifying marks on the outside - anywhere, no tags. The only identifying marks are found on the bottom of the doors
Left door = P21 CR IN M1 1077 / ?2 Right door = 9/29/?2 CM IR M1

both doors seem to be cast nickel - I have included a pic of what it looks like, thanks for the info on the chimney also.

Attachments

• IMG-20120105-00075.jpg
    IMG-20120105-00075.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 604
Coaly - sorry for all of the question, could you recommend a place to get the "brown" stove paint from? there seems to be a few spots of rust starting on the back side of the stove.[/img]

Attachments

• IMG-20120105-00075.jpg
    IMG-20120105-00075.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 677
Obviously it's a III with the flat top glass. I'd guess the door cast date to be 9/29/82. So it was probably built in '82 as well.
Doors are cast iron, brass plated. I'd bet the draft caps are solid brass. Classy stove.
Paint is Stove Bright Metallic Brown. Expensive paint over $17 a can, but really good stuff.
Any local stove shop should have it or be able to get it. If not, here;
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/20875/16405/Wood-Stove-Paint/Hi--Temp-Stove-Paint.html

No idea on the tag. If there is a place to bolt a shield on the back, it could have been on the shield. If she has a BMW in the garage, better look in the trunk. I'll be over for it if she doesn't want that too. (The BMW)

Status
Not open for further replies.