What type of Maple is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
My buddy just dropped off a truck full of Maple, he didn't know what type of Maple it was so i thought I would ask. It was ez to split and it had a darker middle. Thanks to any who replies i do appreciate it, is this a good wood to burn?

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 191
I think that's silver (soft) maple, which is always good to have. Fine for daytime fires, shoulder season and for mixing with dense hardwoods during a restart when the coals got a little too low. Makes excellent kindling, too. You done good.

Reactions: smokinj
Looks like silver to me as well. Good burning wood that is sometimes passed over. It seasons quick and it is also great to cook with. nice score

Soft maple. We burn quite a bit of that here and like it. It doesn't get used much for night wood but daytime is great. In addition, it makes some of the very best kindling wood and as you know, it splits very easy.

Thats silver, just split about 1/4 cord today, I stacked it with the pine I split last week, Ill use them both for shoulder season.

Thanks guys it was free so i didnt hesitate to say I'll take it. Do you think it will be ready by October November? My buddy still has a couple trucks worth for me. I plit some ash a couple weeks ago and split them on the large size do you think that will be ready by October or November? I was standing but dead for a couple years I did test it with the MM and it was 35% moisture.

Our stove can't handle being stuffed full with dry soft maple, but some stoves are OK doing that. If silver is all you're loading, you may want to start with only partial loads until you learn silver's nature in your heater. It can burn really hot and fast. Whether it and the fatty ash splits will be ready by October depends on how much wind and sun it gets, and on what kind of summer weather you get. But, probably will be ready.

I wood have to say in the dead of summer my wood piles gets alot more wind than they do sun. The wood gets full sun when the trees loose their leaves so for about six or seven months of the year they get full sun and the other time they get partial sun.

Yeppers, that looks like silver maple. Great all around wood, every stack deserves some silver maple! It'll be ready to burn by fall, too!

plit some ash a couple weeks ago and split them on the large size do you think that will be ready by October or November? I was standing but dead for a couple years I did test it with the MM and it was 35% moisture.
Wow, 35% seems high for dead standing Ash (White Ash is what I'm familiar with.) Was it semi-punky? That stuff will absorb a lot of moisture if it gets rained on. Only dead a couple of years, I wouldn't think it would be punky though...

I've found some of the dead ash I cut is around 35% and some is around 27% -28% It should be down to at least 22 or 23% by fall. So yes it will burn ok ,but would burn better at 18% Maybe bring wood inside a couple weeks in advance if you can to finish drying in the warm dry house.

Thanks guys it was free so i didnt hesitate to say I'll take it. Do you think it will be ready by October November? My buddy still has a couple trucks worth for me. I plit some ash a couple weeks ago and split them on the large size do you think that will be ready by October or November? I was standing but dead for a couple years I did test it with the MM and it was 35% moisture.

Yes, I think it can be ready by this fall if you handle it right. The maple usually dries super fast and the ash will too. Key is to stack it where it gets wind. Sun will help too. Put something under it so there can be air circulation under the stack and to keep it off the ground. Do not try to stack it pretty. Stack it loosely and no more than 4' high and single rows. I would not cover the wood either until fall or early winter and then cover only the top. Good luck, and get it split ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.