What Type of Rods does the SootEater Use???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I've had a SootEater for a while now and love it. I have made the decision to also purchase a traditional poly set of brushes.

I'm wondering if I can use the SootEater's rods with a traditional poly brush to save a couple bucks.

The SootEater doesn't use a screw on NPT style connector. It uses something a little different. It "looks" like the "Torque Lock" style of connecter that is commonly sold.

I was browsing Northline Express and basically came across two options for connecting brushes and rods, a 3/8NPT screw on type or a "Torque Lock" type.

This is what the Torque Lock looks like on Northline Express:
5ru-pft-78-5-xlg.jpg

That is exactly what the SootEater rods look like. Are they the same thing??? I've got 23' of chimney to clean to I'd love not to spend extra on rods if my SootEater rods will fit. Anyone know???

Thanks!

Or maybe I'm over thinking this. I assume I need some type of flexible rod as I need to clean from the bottom up. I'd like to clean through the stove door but of course it will have to negotiate the turn through the door and up the stovepipe.

I get the feeling traditional rods don't like to do this. Rutlands 3/4" ProFlex rods seem like they would work but I just don't know.

Is pushing a brush up from the bottom, through the stove that weird? I dunno. What are you guys doing?

Okay, ummmm. Any ideas how to get a brush/rod setup to pass 90 degrees through the wood stove door and up the chimney?

ropes tied to both ends of the brush?

ropes tied to both ends of the brush?

I have not choice but to go bottom up. The SS double wall chimney extends 8ft out of the roof. No way to clean top down. The sooteater will make the 90 degree bend through the door and up but I'd really like to try a brush. I just can't find anything flexible enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.