What type of smoke detector outside bathroom with shower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
Hi everyone,

Been meaning to get your input on this for a while now but keep forgetting. Got a pointed reminder this morning when the smoke detector went off at 6:45 while I was showering. :bug:

In the never ending quest to keep humidity in my house and not pull cold air in using the bathroom exhaust fan, I've run into a problem. I live in a 1 floor raised ranch house. The stove is about 5 feet from the mini hallway outside our three bedrooms and bathroom. I've got a smoke detector in that hallway since its between the stove and all the bedrooms. The problem is its also right outside the bathroom and when we shower the steam sets off that detector? Is there a better smoke detector that won't go off from steam, or is that going to be a problem for all types?

Thanks,
Eric

There are two types, photoelectric and ionization.

Photoelectric are considered better at detecting a "smolder fire" meaning it takes larger particles to set them off, ie smoke that you can see, they are also quite a bit more money.

Ionization are what most people have and are considered better at detecting a fast flaming fire- they can detect smaller particles, one's invisible to the naked eye therefor they can be prone to false alarms from cooking, steam etc.

If there is enough steam either one could be set off, so you may just have to play with the placement of it.

What type is yours now?

I'm not sure which type it is, but if its based upon price, I'm sure its the cheaper model, the ionization. I may have to just put one in each bedroom and skip the one in the hallway. Been meaning to do that anyway to interconnect all of them. Guess that process just got sped up a bit.

Thanks for the help,
Eric

If ionization it will say on the detector "contains radioactive material" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.