What type of stove pipe will I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
I have a couple of questions about how to install the wood stove. The stove will be sitting 18" in front of an existing fireplace, 36"w x 29" h. I will line the chimney and also insulate the liner. The stove pipe will connect to the liner with a Tee. The stove pipe will be 3" below the top of the fireplace and 9" from the wood trim. Can this meet code? Do I need double walled pipe or a heat shield? The mantel will be 29" from the topof the stove and comes out 6". Does the stove need to be set back an additional 6" with the 18" required. Thanks. I tried to attach a sketch of the install.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 261
Stove aside, the pipe would be too close if single wall pipe was used. You can use double wall connector or else probably get away with various heat shields. For instance, a pipe heat shield mounted on top of the stove pipe 1" away from it should so the job. If you do this, run it all the way from inside the fireplace (rear of lintel) to a few inches from the stove.

I agree with our knowledgeable administrator. I have used a heat shield between my wooden mantle and single wall pipe for years. It is amazing how much cooler the wood stays. Distance is a little greater than yours, but I think you will be fine. When you have a good fire going, put your hand on the wood and see how hot she be.

Status
Not open for further replies.