What type of tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
I was wondering if anyone could help in the identifcation of this tree. The pics were taken last week in fading sun. I can easily identify shagbark hickory because of the bark but in August don't know what to make of this tree. The leaves look like hickory to me but I didn't see any of the nuts growing on the tree. They all have those 3 large leaves at the end, about 6" or so long. They are dark green and you can see the veins running through them. It was getting dark and the pics aren't the greatest. I see many of these type of leaves on smaller trees and if they are hickory I will leave them alone. I'm trying to cull the Red and White Oaks and let the beech and hickory's have their day in the sun. Thanks in advance.

ps That tree is 18" diameter and 70ft tall. The smaller ones have a smoother bark

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 269
  • PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 259
Looks like pignut hickory.

Status
Not open for further replies.