What value...structure? // Decision made...will be moving cabin.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What price would you put on the main structure of this cabin? (minus porches and roof)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised no one suggested this. If she likes it and you want to make some extra money and you want to keep it, Give her a quote on building one for her with her design. Even paint it for a few dollars more. ;-)

Custom builder friend in Colorado started out specializing in Tack sheds with customer supplied wood. The worse the wood the higher the price.

About selling the barn wood;
There's piles of old beams and barn wood
all over upstate NY slowly rotting away in neat little piles.
You have to be a savy seller to move it.

still waiting to hear back from her. i am continuing to make plans to disassemble it and move it down to my house over the christmas holiday. if that is what ends up happening, i will be sure to take lots of pictures of the process and share with all of you.

thanks for all your input.

yeah, keep us posted. Lots of pictures either way. If she buys it, i'd like to see how they get it to her, if you keep it, I'd like to see takedown, transport, and rebuild!

I think the 4k you quoted her is very fair. I wouldn't go any lower if the cabin is in great shape. If it's the cash you're ultimately after I agree with the previous poster that suggested you offer her a quote to build a new one for her. She'd avoid the hassle of moving your cabin - no matter how she arranges it, it will be a chore with a fair amount of expense in labor and headache. You've got your cabin to just pull measurements off of so there's no wasted time in design, and in a few weekends she'd have a duplicate, new structure and you'd have cash in your pocket and your old cabin to boot. If she's on the fence with your quote I'd think that eliminating moving the structure would push her to the decision to hire you. You could make a good paycheck especially if you're using roughcut.

well, i talked with the lady last night. she said that after thinking about it for a while, she was not interested in spending that kind of money for it in this economy.

so here is the plan. i have the last two weeks of this year off from work becuase of a job change. i am going to be towing a trailer up to where the cabin is this weekend. as stated in my original post, the porches and roof structure are not worth salvaging...they will go on the burn pile. i will label the individual logs with tags before i disassemble. i plan on pulling it apart down to individual components. i will trailer all the pieces down here and eventually set it back up on my property...probably sometime this spring.

i will make sure to take lots of pictures this coming week and post when i get back to a computer.

it should be a fun time. hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Day one:

the first images are of the cabin after i had already taken off the steel roofing and removed some of the wood off of the porches. at the end of day one i had the majority of the roof pulled off of the cabin.

Attachments

• DSC_0347.jpg
    DSC_0347.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0349.jpg
    DSC_0349.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0350.jpg
    DSC_0350.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0355.jpg
    DSC_0355.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 171
Day Two:

After working the first day by myself, my dad came up to help me with the rest of the process. it was a good thing because i would not have been able to get it pulled apart without the extra set of hands. we started by getting the rest of the loft and the front porch pulled off. this got us down to the wood that we were looking at saving. we labeled all of the individual pieces and then started to disassemble them and stack them in a pile. at the end of the day we had all of the walls on the ground in a pile.

Attachments

• DSC_0357.jpg
    DSC_0357.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0359.jpg
    DSC_0359.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0362.jpg
    DSC_0362.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0387.jpg
    DSC_0387.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0398.jpg
    DSC_0398.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 146
Day Three:

This was a pretty nasty day, weather wise, as you can see from the ice hangin on the trailer. my dad still came to help me finish up, he is great. anyways, we finished pulling up the floor off of the foundation and got everything loaded up onto the trailer.

Attachments

• DSC_0418.jpg
    DSC_0418.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_0421.jpg
    DSC_0421.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 139
well, we made pretty good time on taking the cabin down. we have it all loaded on the trailer ready for the trip home, i will get it unloaded on our property beginning of next week and hopefully work on reconstructing it this spring.

after getting up there next to it, my asking price was to high. it was not in as good of shape as i thought it was. i do not regret the way it played out though, i am happy that we have the cabin now and that we will have it on our property. i will have to replace a few pieces, but it will not be bad at all. again, when i get around to rebuilding it, i will post pictures and updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.