What was I thinking? :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I just agreed to a delivery of about one cord of fresh cut locust logs to be dropped on our driveway for $50. (What was I thinking?)

We are currently working on:

1. cutting/splitting/stacking about a cord of hard maple that was dropped last summer.

2. about a cord of hickory that came down in a storm last year which is already in rounds sitting on our driveway that we have to split/stack.

We already have about 1-1/2 cord seasoned soft maple and 2-1/2 cords seasoned elm both of which are already cut/split/stacked for next year and about 3/4 cord of locust that was dropped last year that is now split/stacked.

After all this, will I be 2 yrs. ahead?

Shari

Well you'll have almost 7 cords of wood...how much do you go through in a winter? Nice stove :)

Sounds good to me Shari. I hope those are full cords and not face cords.

Your driveway must look a little like mine now?
fredrick4.jpg

04RevX said:
Well you'll have almost 7 cords of wood...how much do you go through in a winter? Nice stove :)

And therein lies the question. I don't know how much wood we will go thru as we just started burning 24/7 in February of this year. I am taking a guess a 4-5 cords but could be less depending on the type of wood.

Shari

You could not possibly ever have enough Locust, throw away anything else to make room for it if needed :p

Keep it up Shari, if you can find deals like that keep them coming til your 3 years ahead.

If it doesn't get you all the way through two winters, you are well on your way there. You might be a couple cord shy but it sounds like you shouldn't have much trouble finding a couple more cord between now and then!

Shari said:
I just agreed to a delivery of about one cord of fresh cut locust logs to be dropped on our driveway for $50. (What was I thinking?)

We are currently working on:

1. cutting/splitting/stacking about a cord of hard maple that was dropped last summer.

2. about a cord of hickory that came down in a storm last year which is already in rounds sitting on our driveway that we have to split/stack.

We already have about 1-1/2 cord seasoned soft maple and 2-1/2 cords seasoned elm both of which are already cut/split/stacked for next year and about 3/4 cord of locust that was dropped last year that is now split/stacked.

After all this, will I be 2 yrs. ahead?

Shari

;-) Maybe a picture. ;-P

Zapny,

Re; picture. Ugh! I'm dealing with a Verizon cell phone that is not cooperating with me today. Anyway, I do have pics of the maple we are working on the the hickory we haven't started on yet.

Maple - we are working on this, almost done:

maple-dj2.jpg

Hickory:

hickory2.jpg

Shari

Lots of firewood! I like it!

I have a problem...

I also have an excellent tree guy who drops wood at my house..

Attachments

• P1060851-1.jpg
    P1060851-1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 524
Quads: Thanks for comment! Coming from you that means a lot! The photo with the hickory: That is firewood cut/stacked under those camo tarps going all the way back to the tree.

CarbonNeutral: Well, I don't have a photo, but last winter I put together this map of our firewood:

wood_diagram.jpg

Shari

Gary_602z said:
You really have the disease bad don't you Shari! :lol:

Gary

Heh, heh, heh - I had all the wood in my 'map' before I had the woodstove. I was 'planning ahead'. :)

Shari

Time to get some QST! thats quilty splitting time baby! oh and I hate QST or should say least favorite...lol

CarbonNeutral said:
I have a problem...

I also have an excellent tree guy who drops wood at my house..

Lol... I like the part of your picture that says "needs less holes". Those crazy hollow logs are kind of annoying after a while. I've been processing about 1.25 cord of bur oak that blew down 2 weeks ago - lots of rotten centers from the carp. ants.

Drove past this famous 350+ yr. old bur oak tree outside Columbia MO - along MO river - tonight on my bike... It has carpenter ants working on it :( I hope someone is able to kill those buggers.

http://www.bikekatytrail.com/i/burroakdistance.jpg

http://www.bikekatytrail.com/i/burroak.jpg

Shari said:
Shari

You were probably thinking $50 for a cord of locust is a good deal. I think so too.

Shari said:
Quads: Thanks for comment! Coming from you that means a lot! The photo with the hickory: That is firewood cut/stacked under those camo tarps going all the way back to the tree.

CarbonNeutral: Well, I don't have a photo, but last winter I put together this map of our firewood:

wood_diagram.jpg

Shari

Loving the diagram . . . pretty much all my wood just gets lumped together . . . I've never culled them by species.

I am curious though . . . is the boat used to store the wood or is that the emergency wood supply when the firewood runs out . . . you start breaking up the boat and burn it in the stove? ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Loving the diagram . . . pretty much all my wood just gets lumped together . . . I've never culled them by species.

I am curious though . . . is the boat used to store the wood or is that the emergency wood supply when the firewood runs out . . . you start breaking up the boat and burn it in the stove? ;) :)

Heh, heh, heh! Not unless I can burn aluminum in my woodstove! I do have wood sides on the trailer though. :) I guess the wood got piled like that just because that's the way it came in here and as it came in I had to 'build' storage for it. Being a beginner woodburner I had to know which wood would be seasoned. Right about now I guess I don't care as much as I think I have enough seasoned wood for next winter.

Shari

Wow! She even diagrams her woodpiles! I love it. I don't even do that. Although, it probably is a good idea. I have lost some of my smaller piles for several years before one day stumbling across them again!

Oh Shari, Shari, Shari....You got it. You caught wooditis. There is no known cure. The only thing that helps reduce the pain and agony of this disease is to make big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood. The relief is only temporary and fleeting and then must be repeated on a somewhat frequent schedule. Sorry to hear of this. There is one bright side to it though - many people have built up an immunity towards some of the effects over years of dealing with it. Those people can get relief with less frequent treatments during the fall period of the year.

However - not everybody will build this immunity - Just take Quads for example. :)

Jags said:
Oh Shari, Shari, Shari....You got it. You caught wooditis. There is no known cure. The only thing that helps reduce the pain and agony of this disease is to make big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood. The relief is only temporary and fleeting and then must be repeated on a somewhat frequent schedule. Sorry to hear of this. There is one bright side to it though - many people have built up an immunity towards some of the effects over years of dealing with it. Those people can get relief with less frequent treatments during the fall period of the year.

However - not everybody will build this immunity - Just take Quads for example. :)

Maybe now you can understand my determination to purchase a woodstove and get it installed when I had all that wood sitting out there seasoning. :)

PS I have a 'new' map for 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 already.... :)

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.