What was your cities Heating Degree Day total last month?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/cdus/degree_days/mctyhddy.txt

This chart makes for a pretty good comparison from region to region with all else equal. I was surprised to see tha although my HDD was somewhere between 865 and 950 tha it was actually a deviation of 70 below normal and it felt like a rather cold month especially compared to past few years. Well I'm sure the normal is based from at least the past 100 years. Check out some of the totals for Alaska - 2183 - wow! Thats probably with no sunshine and howling winds. What was your cities total?

cmonSTART said:
1275 for Concord, which is a little east of me. Not sure what it means though.

Good question:
"Heating Degree Day - HDD
The number of degrees that a day's average temperature is below 65oFahrenheit (18o Celsius), the temperature below which buildings need to be heated. The price of weather derivatives traded in the winter is based on an index made up of monthly HDD values. The settlement price for a weather futures contract is calculated by summing HDD values for a month and multiplying that sum by $20.

Notes:
To calculate HDD, take the average of a day's high and low temperatures and subtract from 65. For example, if the day's average temperature is 50o F, its HDD is 15. If every day in a 30-day month had an average temperature of 50o F, the month's HDD value would be 450 (15 x 30). The nominal settlement value for this month's weather derivative contract would therefore be $9,000 (450 x $20). "

Week ending HDD
12/8 288
12/15 265
12/22 286
12/29 203

Monday I should be able to update for the few days of single digits.

Matt

Let me see if I have this right. My heating degree total is 751 and thats 98 colder than averge? And 54 warmer than last year?
1521 heating degree days since july? and thats 241 colder than normal and 129 colder than normal?

WV HUNTINGTON HTS 751 -98 54 1521 -241 -129 -14 -8

If this is the case then I need to do some insulation work. I havent ran the furnace yet but summit insert has let the house get a bit cold on more than a few mornings.

Oh and Bart it looks as though I'm just a touch colder here than you are in Va. How big is your house and how well insulated is it?

Weather Underground says we had 1404 heating degree days here last month.

Extrapolating between Portland Me which is about 50 miles northeast of us but right on the Atlantic and Concord NH which is about 30 miles WNW of us, we were about 1250, almost 300 HDD more than last December and about 60HDD more than normal. It was definately a cold month. Looks like we'll make up for it just a bit this coming week, then back to typical winter weather. Models are showing a generally stormy pattern setting up for the country over the next few weeks. Once this weeks warmth gets kicked out of the east, potential to move back into more snow. No extreme cold in the future over the next couple of weeks anyhow.

1143 for my neck of the woods in suburban Boston. Second coldest December in the last seven years. I use wunderground.com for my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.