What Will the Home Inspection Determination Be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is advisable to be your own testing lab. It will not prove anything. If you can get the stack temp to 1000 degrees and keep it there for a number of hours, that will tell you something, but anything else (in my opinion) is a waste of time and energy. Also, you would need to measure temp at places you cannot get to (near the bottom, etc.)

As stated before, the fact that many zc inserts are approved for a similar installation (without the vermiculite) shows the comparative safety of the pipe part of the installation. Why not just remove the vermiculite and sleep easier?

Hmm. Shall I remove the vermiculite or not? Some of you are saying leave it be, and others take it out. Also, if I must cut a hole in the 12" pipe to remove it, how should I repair that? I can reach the lower part of the 12" pipe via an outside vent.

I'm only suggesting it because it makes the installation closer to what is in the manuals for ZC fireplace inserts.

I guess it might be tough removing it - although as I said if you can make a hole near the bottom, it will probably all flow out! Then you can patch the hole with sheet metal and rivets (steel or ss).

I concur that it is probably safe as is, but there is no proof - just plain guesswork.

Status
Not open for further replies.