What winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
I'm just wondering if anyone besides me enjoys the milder winter? Once again, the extended 7-day forecast is all in the 30's for highs!

Let's see- Not burning as much wood as usual, leading to longer burn times for the wood I am using.
Not having to put up with those miserable below zero temps for anything outside related-including
driving.
Not having to listen to snowmobilers at all hours of the night going back and forth on the trail
and seeing whose machine is loudest/fastest. (A trail is right across the road from us)

Maybe spring will be early and that dumb ol'groundhog that people put so much faith into, will be in the ranks of the unemployed.

What winter? THAT winter. I remember it.

I, too, am enjoying spring.

We've had some nice weather too.
mid to high 30s day time & mid 20s at night.
Burning spruce on low & long burn times.
We had a brutal cold winter for a while, quite a bit of snow, so the temps now are real enjoyable. (driveway is ice free :) )
(I say this knowing we still have some winter to get through yet, but it's nice now)

Been a long Fall here. Hadn't had to use the shovel or use any salt this year. 30's-40's all Winter here, handful of nights in teens.

Sounds like most of you are experiencing our typical winter. Enjoy the warmth, but don't expect it to be a cool summer.

You mean it's not going to be wet, rainy, and 60 degrees most days in July and August.

Aww, darn it!

yooper, do you still have some snow and ice? A friend went ice fishing in the UP and said only 14" of ice on the lake and not much snow. I've plowed snow exactly 3 times this winter. We got maybe 1 1/2" of snow last night but I ain't pushing that little bit around.

Story on local news earlier said that so far 1/2 of the daytime temps since Jan 1 have been 40 or above.With only 15" snow total since early November & the biggest single snow was 6" on Feb.4th.I look to see at least 2 big storms from late Feb to late March sometime,with ice and/or 7"-8"+ very heavy wet snow mixed w/ rain.The coldest nighttime low we had was 3 degrees last Friday,that was the latest in the season to get there & its been years that we've gone without any below zero temps.

Warmer & drier than average winter here this year...hasn't bothered me one bit. I'm not a big fan of winter. Rick

Robins mark the beginning of spring here.
We've had them all winter making everyday (almost) seem like spring.
Yeah, I like that. I like that a lot.
Kenny

Backwoods Savage said:
yooper, do you still have some snow and ice? A friend went ice fishing in the UP and said only 14" of ice on the lake and not much snow. I've plowed snow exactly 3 times this winter. We got maybe 1 1/2" of snow last night but I ain't pushing that little bit around.

Yes, we still have snow and ice. Vehicles are still driving on the ice to get to their favorite spot to fish. The cover on the ground has to be over a foot in untouched areas. WE got 2" of snow since yesterday...1" by evening and 1" overnight. Didn't even bother to shovel, the sunshine we had on Saturday melted it all.

Snowmobiling traffic is way down. Tomorrow, we're going to the cottage for a steak cookout and nice fire from the nc-13. I'm interested in seeing how many snowmobilers are out at the lake this weekend. (There are always more there due to the ice, of course)

Still plenty of snow up here in the Fairbanks area. Beautiful days like today contribute to the best possible spring--just under the melting point, but plenty of sunshine and a little bit of a breeze. These are great evaporation days, and the more of the snow that goes back into the atmosphere, the less water and mud we have in the spring. Every day that isn't -35 still feels like a celebration, and the whole town just seems chipper and dandy.

Bring.it.on.

Pro-

+ Not as much plowing with wear and tear on the ATV
+ Not as much wood used
+ May have an early Spring to get a jump on wood and ATVing

Con-

- Some businesses that depend on winter cold and snow are suffering
- Not as much sledding for me which I enjoy a lot

I think we had winter back in January. Might have been dreaming. %-P
I keep looking at the 15 day forecast, and the temp. trends are upward, as you might expect this time of year, but most are at least a couple °F higher than normal.
I might get into the 1/3 cord of Spruce I just brought up from the field stacks a bit earlier than expected. No sense wasting the good stuff on spring temps.

Personally this winter has felt like torture to me. Its just been like one long spring (in my opinion the worst season)

have only used the brand new 1400$ snow blower 2 times so far. (both times i could have easily shoveled or did no snow removal) Have only used the snowmobiles for one trip (way up north and its not looking like i will likely get any more ridding in either) my yard is a complete mess, ice and mud.

The only good thing about this winter is I don't have a stove setup yet and the oil bill has been manageable.

The worst part is, you know the weather pattern comes in waves, and it will probably decide to act like winter come middle of march when we don't want it. or it will act like spring come summer and it will be a cool rainy summer.

Love spring. The trees are in bud now with some early leaves showing on a few bushes. Crocuses are blooming and the daffodils are almost open. Not bad for latitude 48N in late Feb..

BeGreen said:
Love spring. The trees are in bud now with some early leaves showing on a few bushes. Crocuses are blooming and the daffodils are almost open. Not bad for latitude 48N in late Feb..

This post needs pictures . . . for us northeastern folks who are currently looking outside only to see gray skies and brownish-yellow and gray landscapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.