what wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ck632

Nov 10, 2014
New york
Can someone help me out and tell me what wood this is and is it good for wood stove burning? Thanks..it's bright red on inside

Attachments

• 20150316_160550.jpg
    20150316_160550.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 267
  • 20150316_160542.jpg
    20150316_160542.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 226
I had a tree guy drop off a load of stuff in my driveway so I don't know anything about it..its bright red and stringy when I split it.

Rotten sycamore?

Sycamore

Reactions: Lakeside
Either rotting sycamore, or it might be a specimen tree that the tree guy removed. Eucalyptus maybe?

The bark looks like London Plan Tree, which is a hybrid Sycamore, but the wood is strangely red. Sycamore wood should be white. I don't know of any Eucalyptus that will grow outdoors in NY. Is the wood solid? Diseased London Plane tree might be a good guess.

My first guess was alder, but the bark is smoother than the red alder that is common in the Pacific NW. Looking for more info, there seem to be a couple types of alder that grow in the NE.

Assuming it's similar to red alder, it's a moderately low BTU fuel. Moderate splitting difficulty, and the stringy bark can be annoying.

There are no large alders in the northeast. Our Alders top out at around three inches in diameter.

Ah...nevermind then. Even if the photo may look a bit like red alder, I doubt our variety would grow there even if deliberately planted. It likes lots of rain and mild temperatures.

The bark looks like london planetree like wood duck said.
Ive never seen the interior. The red could be fungal staining.
Sycamores are commonly rotten in the middle, or hollow. Also interlocking grain which is evident in the pic of the split.
Chinese elm is another tree with blotchy flat plate bark. Another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.