What would Backwoods Sav and Zapny do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Ok fellow hearth members, here is the situition. My darn neighbor decided to cut up a couple dead ash trees on his property. Doug doesn't burn wood so he "chucked" the cut ash over on my pile of green bur oak, locust, and hickory that I've been working on. He laughed, and said " looks like you have more work" . I was starting to feel pretty good about the pile getting smaller but not NOW!

I say sav and zap would "chuck" the wood back onto Doug's property for the following reasons:

1. Sav would never mix green oak with dead ash that can be burned a lot sooner, besides chances are Doug would've buried sav's milk crate.

2. Zap would never accept this free wood in this condition, its not all cut within 1/8" and we all know zap can't have a wood pile that's not exactly perfect. Zap would "chuck" it back , no doubt!

All kidding aside, I split and stacked a little over a cord of ash today. The first pic next to the round barn is where I "restocked" from this winter and the rest of the ash is on the other side. The 2nd pic is the green oak etc....its getting smaller. :)

Attachments

• rps20120109_172329_656.jpg
    rps20120109_172329_656.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 657
  • IMAG0585.jpg
    IMAG0585.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 635
wishlist said:
2. Zap would never accept this free wood in this condition, its not all cut within 1/8" and we all know zap can't have a wood pile that's not exactly perfect. Zap would "chuck" it back , no doubt!

No, Zap would take the wood. Don't you know his trick?? After it is stacked he uses a hand planer to get everything flush. The 1/8" will just get shaved off to match the others. ;-)

Wow, ya got lots a wood there bro, good work !

wishlist, I would probably never turn down ash. Great firewood. As for the oak, I do separate the oak because that gets burned only during the real cold part of winter. Besides, we don't have a lot of oak but we still have tons of ash. A neighbor and I cut a bunch of them down today. I believe every piece could be burned now as it was pretty dry and noticeably lighter than normal. It can be split with an axe.

Your wood stash is looking great.

WOW your wood pile makes my wood pile look like an ant hill :lol: Very nice collection of wood wishlist

Pete

Wish, you have some nice looking piles there. You are definitely on the A team with Dennis, Zap and many many others here.

wishlist said:
Ok fellow hearth members, here is the situition. My darn neighbor decided to cut up a couple dead ash trees on his property. Doug doesn't burn wood so he "chucked" the cut ash over on my pile of green bur oak, locust, and hickory that I've been working on. He laughed, and said " looks like you have more work" . I was starting to feel pretty good about the pile getting smaller but not NOW!

I say sav and zap would "chuck" the wood back onto Doug's property for the following reasons:

1. Sav would never mix green oak with dead ash that can be burned a lot sooner, besides chances are Doug would've buried sav's milk crate.

All kidding aside, I split and stacked a little over a cord of ash today. The first pic next to the round barn is where I "restocked" from this winter and the rest of the ash is on the other side. The 2nd pic is the green oak etc....its getting smaller. :)

I'm still laughing. :vampire: After my ride down the ice covered trail with a full load behind the rhino(big hemlock on the right, small birch on the left) straight like an arrow thank God, so yes I would take the wood.

Never pass on some free AS_. ;-P

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
wishlist, I would probably never turn down ash. Great firewood. As for the oak, I do separate the oak because that gets burned only during the real cold part of winter. Besides, we don't have a lot of oak but we still have tons of ash. A neighbor and I cut a bunch of them down today. I believe every piece could be burned now as it was pretty dry and noticeably lighter than normal. It can be split with an axe.

Your wood stash is looking great.

Oh no, I didn't think I'd ever hear you say that you could burn wood that hasn't been split for at least two years. ;-P

No, Zap would take the wood. Don't you know his trick?? After it is stacked he uses a hand planer to get everything flush. The 1/8" will just get shaved off to match the others. ;-)[/quote]

Come to think of it jags, I think I seen a hand planer left with the chain that zap left in the woods the other day or maybe it was on top of the transformer? Lol....

Sav, this was some very dry, light, and easy splitting ash. Glad to here your out and must ne feeling better.

Pete, with this mild winter I've been hard at it. Get it while you can! :)

Jags said:
wishlist said:

No, Zap would take the wood. Don't you know his trick?? After it is stacked he uses a hand planer to get everything flush. The 1/8" will just get shaved off to match the others. ;-)
Now that is funny! I thought I was the only one who did that :snake: But I use my chainsaw.

hahahaha

Zap has woodpile OCD .....I am convinced after seeing some of those pics. :p
Betcha he is neat as a pin inside the house....he prolly cleans for Mrs Zap... :cheese:

Gamma, I'll admit to the OCD but only if you put a picture up of your firewood stacks or pile. >:-(

zap

Am I the only one who thinks Gama looks like the singer Pink? at least the Avatar. Nice looking wood there Wish.

I am pretty sure
Backwoods would

1) pull up his splitter and milk crate and start splitting or

2) set his splitter on horizontal, remove the wedge
and launch the wood back into his neighbors yard

I am going with one

not to familiar with zapny
but from what I do know
he would be pacing back and forth franticaly in a panic
from that mess of a pile

ironpony said:
I am pretty sure
Backwoods would

1) pull up his splitter and milk crate and start splitting or

2) set his splitter on horizontal, remove the wedge
and launch the wood back into his neighbors yard

I am going with one

Too funny iron, it would have to be one. I think he welded his splitter vertical! :)

Right. My splitter doesn't know what horizontal splitting is. In over 20 years I don't think it has ever done that. We still have some milk crates too.

Zap most likely just throws a 60" bar on the 660 and turns the Alaskan Mill sideways. Ought to even out the whole stack nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.