What would you ask for this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bag of hammers

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2010
Northern ON
I'm debating keeping my old stove and related parts for a garage or workshop (on my wishlist), or just selling it. What would a reasonable ask be for this stuff? Stove and chimney approx 14 years old, connector pipe approx 8 years old (replaced the single wall with double wall at that time). All Supervent chimney parts, weekend burning only, everything in good shape. Not expecting it's worth much given the age and limited applications e.g. hunting / fishing / bush camp. Which is why I'll likely just keep it, but would like to have a decent idea...

Drolet "little sawman" non-epa stove (small, < 2 cu ft firebox, can't recall the exact size)
24" double wall pipe
60" telescoping double wall pipe
3 x 36" sections 2100 chimney
chimney adapter / stove pipe connector
cathedral support box
2 locking bands
6 - 12 pitch (steep) roof flashing and storm collar
chimney cap

Hard to say without seeing its condition but if decent, maybe $2-300?

begreen, it's all in great shape, so I'll take the liberty of leaning towards the top end of your estimate. :)

based on that, and mellow's figure, puts me in the $300 - $400 range. Good to know - thanks..

Sounds good, it will also depend on when you sell it. In a month we will be in the silly season when grasshoppers suddenly get chilly.

Reactions: bag of hammers
I would keep that set up for future plans....Store the piping in the attic or? & just forget about it for now, the stove seal & store in a dry spot out of the way...It will be real handy to have when the time comes. Or....I dont know the stove brand but maybe install it in the back and enjoy the cool nights by a warm stove in the open elements. I have one out side on pavers & love it.

Bigfoot I'm considering that too. I would like to have a heated workshop or garage one day and it would be nice to have the functioning parts on hand to bolt it in at that time. It's kind of a catch-22 - I have no place to store the stove until I get the garage / workshop built. I only have a small shed right now, where my other implements of destruction (chain / brush / table / mitre saws, etc.) live. Definitely no room to store the stove in there. I can store the pipe and other parts up in the loft (storage) area in the house, but no way I can get the stove up there.

A stove in the outdoors idea is also a good one - I like the firepit I have, and I could park a stove there to replace the old truck rim, and there's no shortage of stuff to burn up around the property. On a similar note, I also have friends with a huge old stove parked on a concrete pad at the shoreline of their place. Outside fires watching the night sky over the water is amazing, but I think this stove is too small for the pyro in me if I go that route - I need a big old unit that I can really load up.

Meanwhile, as I spend way too much time thinking about things (as usual), what if I sit the stove outside on a pallet, wrap some plastic around it, build a box around it, is it going to survive or likely turn to rust? What do you think?

Are there any photos of the stove available to see??? Yes it can be stored if properly wrapped up, I stored some of my fathers tools for years under plastic until I got my shop built 6 years later. Every year I was recovering or something. that was years ago now. I'm sorta into stoves now I can help determine if its worth keeping or not. I been collecting lately, really like the antiques but stoves are not cheap in my area, depending on what it is. If its small & you like it just keep it and buy another one when you get a shop going but it may be years before then & even more years after the shop is going before you can buy another stove, meanwhile you will be cold & not use the space because you don't have a stove & are too cold..... Thats me now, I am finally installing stove, hearth & chimney in my shop after 6 years of being finished, can't believe the chimney is 1,250 dollars. thats why I say to keep it, at least the chimney. You can probably pick up another stove for cheap during the summer months after the shop/garage is finished. Heck, just build a bigger shed to work in & put the small stove inside =)

PS, Like Mellow said $400 is a good price, maybe $600

Thanks Bigfoot - I am terrible when it comes to pics - I'll put a sticky on my gear next trip out so I can remember to get a couple. meanwhile here's an image from the Drolet site

little_sawman.jpg
I just helped a neighbor put up shed # 4 - and he was talking about getting shed #5 - his wife was not impressed ;lol. For me, another (bigger) shed == garage, I'll be saving my pennies to get that done.

Status
Not open for further replies.