What would you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crizpynutz

Mar 26, 2015
Northern CT
If you were going to go out and buy a new pellet stove today, what make/model would you be targeting?

If you were going to go out and buy a new pellet stove today, what make/model would you be targeting?

You're going to get as many different answers as there are stoves on the market. I switched from an England stove works stove to a Harman p43 and couldn't be happier.

If I moved and couldn't take my stove with me for some reason, I would buy another harman p- series.

Reactions: crizpynutz
I'd buy a coal stoker and get twice/three times the heat for 1/2 the cost of the fuel.

I would buy a Harman standalone stove, as large as I can get and afford. The inserts are just a pain to maintain.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
I wouldn't buy a pellet stove, unless I was certain pellet prices were coming back down.

Same one in my Sig.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
I like my Harmans and would buy another without hesitation. If coal was available locally I'd look into them also for reasons mentioned above. I have zero complaints with what I am heating with whatsoever. Zero!

Reactions: tjnamtiw
another (used) PS50 and put it in the basement as a back up/bitter cold weather second/ emergency parts mule.

Last edited:
Another used Harman if I needed another stove.

Reactions: bags
I'd buy a coal stoker and get twice/three times the heat for 1/2 the cost of the fuel.

Until reading some disgruntled members here I never would have thought of a coal stoker. I'm hoping the market corrects itself eventually and pellets are again the best deal in town.

Looking back I started with a Harman PC45 because we grow corn and it would be a renewable resource for us. I wanted a stove that was easy to clean, auto start, held a fair amount of fuel and ash and something that was dependable.
Like other people I was replacing a wood stove in the basement to reduce labor, and the mess. I ended up buying three different brand stoves before having to admit that stove needs to be on the main floor. I was lucky while doing this in that each time I switched stoves I managed to do so breaking even so there was no extra cash involved.
Do you want the capability to burn different fuels in case you can't get pellets or they go up in price?
The simple advice would be stay away from new design or new technology for two years letting somebody else suffer the growing pains. Realize that spending a little more can be a big benefit down the road when its time to update. Look ahead and anticipate having to replace common parts as they do wear out some faster then others
You can ask for opinions like this for ideas but in the end its your money and your decision. study all the options and take a honest look in the mirror. Are you a handy-man type of person who is willing to learn some new things or are you the type to call the dealer all the time. If you value the warranty and need a dealer at your beck and call you probably don't want to invest in a stove like this.

Reactions: bags and tjnamtiw
I would still buy a Freestanding Harman as I have read too many posts about Inserts being a Pain to maintain due to many extra steps Involved in full cleaning.

I would still buy a Freestanding Harman as I have read too many posts about Inserts being a Pain to maintain due to many extra steps Involved in full cleaning.
So VERY true!!! I have double trouble here, Can hardly wait..... ;hm

I would buy a Harman standalone stove, as large as I can get and afford. The inserts are just a pain to maintain.
Insert pain to maintain ???? I don't have any issues maintain ..maybe your doing something wrong .. Just sayin

If money was not an issue - I'd go with Harman P series....

Reactions: bags
Another huge plus IMO is the radiant heat the free standing throw. I am thinking about an insert to replace the dinosaur Lopi wood insert I have here. We shall see with how everything goes first.
How bad can the inserts be if you spring for the slide out rails. That would just add one more step of pulling it out. I am sure pulling one out without is a ball buster. I've had to slide the old Lopi out a couple of times. Not fun but doable.

Insert pain to maintain ???? I don't have any issues maintain ..maybe your doing something wrong .. Just sayin
How about just sayin what insert you have that's as easy to clean as a free stander?

Harmon P43 or Rika Integra II

Sorry guys but it would be a heat pump for me!!

I would search around for another old Whitfield. Barring that I would probably go for something by SBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.