What would you do with all the pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
So I need to get two pines cut down in my front yard (one jack pine & one white pine) $1000 for a tree service to cut them down and then block into 18" pieces for me to split at a later time. The white pine is about 60' tall and the jack is about 40' tall. Between these two trees there is a TON of pine. Now I'm not opposed to burning pine but if I just burn pine during the later stages of spring an early stages of fall I'll have pine for the next 20 years! After being well seasoned I guess I could mix the pine in with my harder species throughout the winter. Or keep some for myself and sell some to others who may want to use it for camping or outside fire place. What would you do? If this was oak, maple or some other hardwood there is no doubt what I would do with it. I'm just afraid that I'll be left with a bunch of pine that will end up rotting before I get to use it.

Burn it, but let it season.
There are a lot of people out that all they burn is Pine. Nothing wrong with it. You can mix it in with hardwood in the winter for longer burns, use it for the shoulder seasons, or if you are home like weekends and it is really cold, you can burn it, but your burn times will be alot less so you will reload more. As long as it is seasoned, you will be fine.

I don't understand this at all. Why would you get rid of perfectly burnable wood? It's like throwing your pocket change away because it's not bills.

I typically mix my Pine in with all my other Pine and that's how I keep myself and my loved ones toasty warm all winter long. Had a piece of hardwood once. Mixed it in with my Pine. Burned OK. Rick

No, no, no! Pine is terrible wood. It will gunk up your stove, set your flue on fire, your wife won't like you and your kids will fail in school! I would think for another $1000 or less, you could probably get a semi trailer and just ship it to me for proper disposal!

gangsplatt said:
So I need to get two pines cut down in my front yard (one jack pine & one white pine) $1000 for a tree service to cut them down and then block into 18" pieces for me to split at a later time. The white pine is about 60' tall and the jack is about 40' tall. Between these two trees there is a TON of pine. Now I'm not opposed to burning pine but if I just burn pine during the later stages of spring an early stages of fall I'll have pine for the next 20 years! After being well seasoned I guess I could mix the pine in with my harder species throughout the winter. Or keep some for myself and sell some to others who may want to use it for camping or outside fire place. What would you do? If this was oak, maple or some other hardwood there is no doubt what I would do with it. I'm just afraid that I'll be left with a bunch of pine that will end up rotting before I get to use it.

gangsplat I wish I had your 20 year problem. :coolgrin:

gangsplatt said:
So I need to get two pines cut down...
I'll have pine for the next 20 years!
That must be some efficient stove. I cull off all kinds of low grade wood and burn it in my stove. Pine is a very nice splitting wood and makes very good fire starter. When I had mostly Birch firewood I was happy for the Pine blow-downs to use a kindling and larger starter pieces.

LLigetfa said:
gangsplatt said:
So I need to get two pines cut down...
I'll have pine for the next 20 years!
That must be some efficient stove. I cull off all kinds of low grade wood and burn it in my stove. Pine is a very nice splitting wood and makes very good fire starter. When I had mostly Birch firewood I was happy for the Pine blow-downs to use a kindling and larger starter pieces.

Due to my location Pine is considered our high grade wood then we have poplar and spruce. It all burns and properly seasoned is the name of the game. If I can heat my home with it and get overnight burns on low then Iam sure anyone can as long as the fire box size suffices. N of 60

Y'all wouldn't believe all the pine we throw away down here. Heck, I had a huge one in my yard disposed of. My dad still disagrees with me about burning pine. I've been wanting to try it, but have always been told that you never burn pine in a fireplace. Growing up in the South is way different from other places where you don't have much hardwoods.

drdoct said:
Y'all wouldn't believe all the pine we throw away down here. Heck, I had a huge one in my yard disposed of. My dad still disagrees with me about burning pine. I've been wanting to try it, but have always been told that you never burn pine in a fireplace. Growing up in the South is way different from other places where you don't have much hardwoods.

Whether you burn it down south or up north it will not change the results of how it burns or gives off heat other than wood densities. I imagine the northern pine is more dense than southern pine as it has a shorter growing season which = tighter rings.
There is nothing unsafe about burning pine as then we would all be screwed up here!

Shucks ya'll, I ain't as fa south as Gawja but I sure nuff burn me a buncha that there pine.

And I put gravy on everything but ice cream too. :coolgrin:

The smoke from pine burning rotates the opposite direction in the chimney than the smoke from when I burn hardwood so it cleans the soot from the hardwood out of my chimney. And visa-versa.

Most of us in the NW only have softwoods. They burn nicely and throw off a lot of BTUs. Softwoods may not produce the same level of BTUs as hard woods, but some have significantly higher BTUs than others, like Larch. I suspect if you did a world wide survey of existing forests, the most would predominate trees would be conifers. They certainly seem to be hardy, even in arid climates.

north of 60 said:
Due to my location Pine is considered our high grade wood then we have poplar and spruce.
I didn't mean to imply Pine to be "low grade", the OP did that.

On my land I have mostly Poplar and that is what I call low grade wood. That said, te only wood I won't burn is Balsam. I hate the stuff... tough branches, sticky sap, stinks like piss. It's snap crackle and pop does give it character in an outdoor fire but I still won't touch it. At my former home, I had a neighbor that ran a sleigh ride business and he took all the Balsam deadfalls off my land.

Birch comes in a close second, not for low grade but for hated wood. While it goves more BTU than Black Ash if well dried, I hate the bark and it stinks like cat piss. Whenever I had to burn Birch, I peeled off all the bark. The bark will creosote up the chimney something fierce.

Well once it's seasoned you could burn some 1st thing in the morning...lot easier to get the kids ready for school in a warm house. 2 trees isn't that much ...you'll burn through that in 1 season easy...then wish you had more.

If I had to pay $1000 to have 2 Pine trees cut down I'd burn every stick of it including the pine needles!

I got a pile of boxelder stacked out back. It don't burn like oak, but I'm burnin' it.

What I do is burn it on weekends, when I'm around the house. I also use it to fire up the stove when I get home from work, gives quick heat, burns down to coals fast, then I load the stove for the night with hardwood.

Just split that pine, stack it off the ground, cover it on top whenever you get around to it, and burn it next year, and/or the year after.

drdoct said:
Y'all wouldn't believe all the pine we throw away down here. Heck, I had a huge one in my yard disposed of. My dad still disagrees with me about burning pine. I've been wanting to try it, but have always been told that you never burn pine in a fireplace. Growing up in the South is way different from other places where you don't have much cold weather.

Fixst

BrotherBart said:
Shucks ya'll, I ain't as fa south as Gawja but I sure nuff burn me a buncha that there pine.

The smoke from pine burning rotates the opposite direction in the chimney than the smoke from when I burn hardwood so it cleans the soot from the hardwood out of my chimney. And visa-versa.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrotherBart said:

Me thinks you have been breathing too much hippie lettuce smoke to come up with that contusion!

Put a add on criagslist:
Free fire wood, you cut down tree, spilt and take half of wood. Most be insursed and remove all
brush.

I've been burning that hemlock tree that died. It's been burning great but wow, it is indeed light. I burned some hardwood the other day, and man what a difference. The soft wood would take more space to store the same amount of heat too.

madrone said:
I don't understand this at all. Why would you get rid of perfectly burnable wood? It's like throwing your pocket change away because it's not bills.

It's a storage problem mostly. I live in a neighborhood, 250' long x 90' wide lot and the front yard is 170' of the lot leaving a small back yard in which to store wood, have the swing set, the garden, and the hardwood I've already got stacked.

BrotherBart said:

I thought smoke only rotated the opposite direction if you lived in the Southern Hemisphere? :lol:

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:

I thought smoke only rotated the opposite direction if you lived in the Southern Hemisphere? :lol:

In BrotherBart's house, the smoke rotates whatever damn way he tells it to rotate. :coolsmirk: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.