What would you do with all the pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let Brother Bart kid you. His stove doesn't have smoke.

gangsplatt said:
madrone said:
I don't understand this at all. Why would you get rid of perfectly burnable wood? It's like throwing your pocket change away because it's not bills.

It's a storage problem mostly. I live in a neighborhood, 250' long x 90' wide lot and the front yard is 170' of the lot leaving a small back yard in which to store wood, have the swing set, the garden, and the hardwood I've already got stacked.

Ah. Makes sense. The suggestion above about craigslist is a good one. Trading some away is also a good one. 2 cords pine for 1 hardwood? I'll never understand this self-imposed pine burning moratorium you have in the East. I personally cringe at the thought of good burnable wood rotting away, or :bug: buried in a landfill.

I've burned lots of stuff but no pine in the stove yet. I think the biggest reason is that pine has so much sap and I really don't want to mess with it to process it. I let it rot in the woods. When piees of it fall in the yard it goes in the burn barrel....but that's about it.

johnsopi said:
Put a add on criagslist:
Free fire wood, you cut down tree, spilt and take half of wood. Most be insursed and remove all
brush.
I was kidding about criagslist. It all ways seems that people what you to do a lot of work just
for firewood.

I bet the take down price would have been a bit more if they also had to haul those trees away.

My town now charges PER POUND to take solid wood and stumps for disposal - brush and branches is just $200.00 per year because they chew it up add landfill sludge and sell it to a certain topsoil "manufacturer".

The only problem I have with the local white pine here is I end up loading the stove twice as often. So given the choice of a pine tree to cut up or an oak the oak gets my time and the pine gets tossed. Only as a general rule. The pine gets tossed on my ownproperty, so if time allows I can get back to it.
It does have to be dry. Dry pitch is supposedly a good fuel.

Safely drop the trees on your front lawn. Have an expert buddy help you.
Split and season it correctly. If in doubt, research it fully on Hearth.com.

Burn it, as do wood burners in other areas of the country and world!

Keep it, buck it, split it, stack it, and look at it.
Don't ever burn it though.
Causes mental retardation.

johnsopi said:
Put a add on criagslist:
Free fire wood, you cut down tree, spilt and take half of wood. Most be insursed and remove all
brush.
Good luck with that!

smokinj- wouldn't be the first Craigslist ad like that we've seen, eh? "Split and stack my half" is the reall kickah for me.

Saw one where people needed wood for heat- seemed to be having a rough time- but they wanted it delivered split and stacked for them and were picky about what kind of wood. Umm- OK.

[quote author="Adios Pantalones" date="1226349469"]smokinj- wouldn't be the first Craigslist ad like that we've seen, eh? "Split and stack my half" is the reall kickah for me.

Saw one where people needed wood for heat- seemed to be having a rough time- but they wanted it delivered split and stacked for them and were picky about what kind of wood. Umm- OK.LOL
I know where a cord of blue spruce is thats cut split just needs pick up in farmland, indiana if someone wants it?

From a heavy poplar burner - Keep It! Burn It! Love It!

Burn it on nights that are not so cold you need all-night fires. Burn it on weekends when you're around to feed the stove more often. Burn it on evenings when you're sitting around the house. Burn it on mornings you need a quick fire to take the chill off. Use it as an addition to hardwood fires cause it lights up so easily. Use it to save your good and more expensive hardwoods for when you really need them.

smokinj said:
johnsopi said:
Put a add on criagslist:
brush.
Good luck with that!

I thought that was very witty.

I pretty much decided this morning that I am going to cut a cord or so of pine for next year. I went down to reload the furnace this morning and there wasnt much for coals, not enough to load it up and walk away, and it was down to 66 in the house at 5am and the wife doesnt get up till 8. I had some pine scraps (1x's and 2x's) so i threw them down first, took right off. Not only did it make for a hot fire to take the chill off, but they ignite fast, faster than maple would have. I have a limited amount of time in the morning to get it taken care of. Im going to split up some pine real small for days like this.

I've got two or three large white pines that need to come down since the needle drop into our pool is driving my wife crazy (plus I'm not too nuts about these large trees being so close to the house and pool). However, believe you me . . . these trees will all find a good home right where they're at as I have plans for them.

-- Spring and Fall fires . . . fast and hot
-- Kindling . . . for a sure fire and cheap way to get the fire going
-- Weekend and early evening fires . . . when I've got the time to feed the fire more often
-- Quick starter fires to get things up and going
-- As a "filler" to help burn down excessive coals

Oh yeah . . . I'm a former East Coast Never-Burn-Pine-It's-Evil Convert! :) ;)

Shoot . . . I'll probably end up collecting the cones and using them as firestarters or to decorate some Christmas wreathes and the small branches will go into my semi-annual outdoor bon fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.