What would you do with this burl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
As the title asks.

Attachments

• burl.jpg
    burl.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 316
I’d save it for a cold night because I love crotchy twisted chunks for long burns. :cool:

I’m a woodworker but I haven’t spent any time working with burls other than veneer. I hear it’s pretty hit and miss with what you find inside and how it works (cuts) or if it will hold together. Sometimes burl grain is just ugly to me but I’ve seen some stunning pieces.

Meth heads love to go cut trees down just to steal burl wood to sell and it’s become quite a problem in certain areas; many of them national parks or forest land. - Just an interesting tidbit.

I'm not sure. I have one in a sugar maple. Measures approximately 36" across. I've seen some cool stuff made out of them.
That could be a very valuable one, but like anything the buyer has to be there or it’s just a big diseased ball on a tree.

When I find a decent sized burl I'll check in with a wood turning friend or two and see if they are interested . . . if they look at it and determine it's not all that useful I'll split it and burn it. If they think they can make something out of it, I'll give it to them.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I cut into it and it was rotten. Why the branch felling he first place .

... Meth heads love to go cut trees down just to steal burl wood to sell and it’s become quite a problem in certain areas; many of them national parks or forest land. - Just an interesting tidbit.

... looks like it would make a nice club though

Meth heads would be a good use for that club

Reactions: Jeffm1 and Eureka