What would you do with this low ceiling, all-electric-heat house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KaliEnte

Nov 9, 2017
Kingwood Township, NJ
Hi!

I need advice. :)

We're in central NJ and have very low ceilings. The room with our fireplace is 14'x19' (266sq ft) with 6'8" ceiling. Kitchen is adjacent to it and 16'x15' (240sq ft). Our bedroom is above the fireplace room with staircase on opposite side of the room. Then 2 other rooms on opposite side of kitchen. Total house is 1700ft sq.

Our heat is all electric and expensive. We use the open fireplace in winter, but it takes a lot of wood and big fire to get heat out of it. So we're looking for secondary heat source and I'm just not sure what the best route is.

First, I was looking at the Jotul F400 stove with short leg kit. I prefer a stove with radiant heat and no noisy blowers. I thought it could be tucked somewhat WITHIN the fireplace, but now a different dealer told me it must be totally outside of the fireplace on the hearth? Which if true, means my hearth depth isn't deep enough. And I can't use a pad because the pad would be in the walkway from front door to kitchen.

So now I've just started to look at inserts, mainly the Jotul C550 Insert. My concern is that we will roast in the small living room since the ceilings are low. Also, does it throw heat without the blowers on, or do they need to be on? I was also looking at the QuadraFire Voyaguer, but have read complaints of dirty window and not great fire viewing.

Not sure what to do with this house. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks, Kali

full.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6770.JPG
    IMG_6770.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 319
I wouldn't worry too much about the low ceiling height . . . my 1970s vintage home also has lower ceiling heights and heat is not really a huge issue as we have a fan in the adjacent room pointed towards the stove which helps move the heat to the rest of the home. Sure, the room with the stove is warmer than the rest of the home, but it's not unbearable and on those frigidly cold days is the "go to" room to be in (at least for our cats.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the low ceiling height . . . my 1970s vintage home also has lower ceiling heights and heat is not really a huge issue as we have a fan in the adjacent room pointed towards the stove which helps move the heat to the rest of the home. Sure, the room with the stove is warmer than the rest of the home, but it's not unbearable and on those frigidly cold days is the "go to" room to be in (at least for our cats.)

Thanks! Yep, we got a 1970s vintage home too. How do you like your Jotul Oslo?

Either a insert or freestander will be a huge upgrade to wasting wood in the existing fireplace. Also. Both options will very likely benefit greatly from fans. Looks like Jotul has your attention. Keep your options open. Guessing there will be recommendations coming!

Either a insert or freestander will be a huge upgrade to wasting wood in the existing fireplace. Also. Both options will very likely benefit greatly from fans. Looks like Jotul has your attention. Keep your options open. Guessing there will be recommendations coming!

Thanks Moresnow!

Mainly looking at Jotul because they have the short leg kit which I THOUGHT would allow me to place stove partially within fireplace, but not sure now. I'm def open to other options! Have just been spending time reading about Drolet and they seem great at half the price of Jotul! But no dealers around me and don't know were I would find someone reliable to install.

One thing to note about a stove in the hearth is that you'll lose a lot of the heat to the masonry, especially if it is on an exterior wall. So I think to really get the most heat out of it you'd want the blower with either a stove tucked into the fireplace or an insert.

As a hearthstone owner I would recommend a Blaze King insert. Small house, low and slow is the way to go. plus you will likely only need to put wood in twice a day. I would LOVE that.

As a hearthstone owner I would recommend a Blaze King insert. Small house, low and slow is the way to go. plus you will likely only need to put wood in twice a day. I would LOVE that.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into Blaze King. You've had Blaze King in the past and then switched to Hearthstone?
Do you find the Heat Life of your hearthstone to be true (and burn time)?

just keep in mind what ever route you decide to go, measure carefully as we need 16" in front of the loading door and since it may go into your walking path it may pose a problem. How about a nice free standing in front of the stove with rear discharge flue and a side loading door for your 16" required space. Rear flue with short leg kit should be able to make it to a T within your fire box on a slight pitch to keep any creosote that forms allowing it to migrate towards the stove, free standing in front of the fireplace so your not so blower dependent, a nice insulated liner w/ block off plate to keep room heated air from going up the chimney, or a metal surround to block off the fire place if the stove clears the fireplace.

check these out, its a cat hybrid stove, the benefit with these is that they can be turned down to allow minimum heat, all the while producing a clean burn, these are also the newest in the tech and it has a side loading door. Plus the manufacture can add / take away any extra stove flare, make it a top or rear vent and make custom legs to fit your application
http://www.woodstove.com/new-absolute-steel-hybrid

check these out, its a cat hybrid stove, the benefit with these is that they can be turned down to allow minimum heat, all the while producing a clean burn, these are also the newest in the tech and it has a side loading door. Plus the manufacture can add / take away any extra stove flare, make it a top or rear vent and make custom legs to fit your application
http://www.woodstove.com/new-absolute-steel-hybrid
Interesting!! So the fact that the door is on the side would satisfy the "front" clearance? I'll take a look. Thanks!

Interesting!! So the fact that the door is on the side would satisfy the "front" clearance? I'll take a look. Thanks!
Yes, the 16" is the minimum hearth clearance by our code, this is just incase an ember or coal rolls out and gets missed by the user while loading or tending the stove.
With any install into an existing chimney a liner is a must, they just operate better and code again says that there are to be no slammer installs (stove just venting into the existing chimney) and it doesn't make sense from a cleanliness standpoint to do a mid install (I forget the exact verbiage) of piping it a quarter into the chimney then putting up a plate and seal and letting the chimney do the rest of the work, its very messy to clean. It is highly recommended to install an insulated liner, they keep the flue gases warmer insuring a great draft and less creosote formation due to a warmer flue, this maybe be required if you existing masonry chimney doesn't have the proper clearances to the existing house (combustibles)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks! Yep, we got a 1970s vintage home too. How do you like your Jotul Oslo?

Love it.
Over the years I've seen one or two other models that intrigued me and caught my eye based on their specs, performance, etc. . . . but every time I keep coming back to the fact that the Oslo has kept me warm since 2008 with no issues other than changing out a few gaskets.

Have just been spending time reading about Drolet and they seem great at half the price of Jotul! But no dealers around me and don't know were I would find someone reliable to install.

My experience with Drolet has been outstanding. Helped a buddy install the HT2000 last fall (large unit). Performed flawlessly all winter. For the money I was very impressed. He has since migrated to a Blaze King Princess to obtain the long and controlled burns. The Drolet went to his shop/mancave where it replaced a old wood gobbler:) Covered both bases nicely.

My experience with Drolet has been outstanding. Helped a buddy install the HT2000 last fall (large unit). Performed flawlessly all winter. For the money I was very impressed. He has since migrated to a Blaze King Princess to obtain the long and controlled burns. The Drolet went to his shop/mancave where it replaced a old wood gobbler:) Covered both bases nicely.

Yes I've been reading great things about Drolet and great prices too. I was very excited UNTIL I saw the ceiling clearance! My ceilings are low and Drolet is the first stove that I've seen to have ceiling clearance requirements. :( Even with protection, which would prob look weird, I don't meet the requirement.

Just installed an Englander 30-nc in my fireplace. Had good clearance but it was kind of a pain to get the appliance adapter connected. Puts out great heat...

But. If i had the budget I’d find a stove with a rear flue outlet and extend the hearth. It would make for a much easier install. And more radiant heat.

To figure out your options for what is going to fit, you need to measure both the fireplace opening and in the back of the fireplace, width and height. Then the depth of the fireplace from the opening to the back, and depth of the hearth from the front to the opening. I would try to find a rear-vent stove that could sit out on the hearth as much as possible, and have enough room to side-load. You might have to measure straight out from the front of the stove to satisfy clearance to combustibles, but maybe you can measure down at an angle if there is no door on the front. Begreen and some others were discussing this at one point, but I'm still not certain how it all works. If the stove required ember protection only, not R-value protection, you might get away with a painted piece of sheet metal on the wood floor.