What would you do with this Sweet Gum?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Lady

Jan 20, 2007
A pipeline runs through our property and they decided that over the years trees and brush had grown out over the pipeline and had to be taken down. Knowing there were some large trees they were going to cut, we asked if they would lay the oaks where we could cut them up for firewood. They left 4 huge trees. As we were cutting one of the four, DH and I kept wondering if it was really oak, but we kept thinking surely they recognized the oaks. BTW, they stripped all the limbs and ground them up, so it was hard for us to distinguish. Well, after we put one bucked piece to the splitter, we realized that yep it was actually Sweet Gum! Now, my question. Is it worth our time to struggle with trying to split all this Sweet Gum and maybe add a little along with our oak, or not waste anymore time and fuel?

If you are using a splitter you are not struggling. I split it by hand and do it while it is still 'wet' as it splits a little easier. The wood is there, so you might as well process it. It is great for the shoulder season and to get a fire going in a hurry.

I'd burn it!

(After the appropriate amount of seasoning, of course)

All sweetgum should be burnt immediately. Taking the time to cut them down first is optional. I hate the pricker balls.

Matt

I'd buck it, split it, stack it (in the dry) and burn it. Sweetgum deteriotates rapidly in the weather so I try not to leave it exposed to the elements any longer than necessary. It isn't a prime hardwood but it will burn and give good short term heat well when needed. I have several sweetgums in my front yard area that will find their way to the wood shed when I get the time for that project. It's like a giant weed in this area.

rots fast

Status
Not open for further replies.