What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
My daughter graduated college yesterday and is moving back home today. We have a raised ranch and her bedroom is in the basement as well as the wood stove. It was 58 degrees down there this morning and it tends to be damp. My options were to run the oil fired boiler to warm and dry up the basement or let warm, moist outside air in and then run the dehumidifier to dry it out, or start a fire in the stove. Since I am on "stay-cation" this week I started a fire. What would you have done?

I would give your daughter the choice of what she wants to do since it is going to be where she is living. If she wants to haul wood and tend a fire then she can heat with wood. If she would rather pitch in and pay for the electricity for the dehumidifier, she could go that route. The same with paying for the oil.

Reactions: Slow1
Wood heat can dry things out nicely as well as warm up the room.

I have a small fire going enough toget the chimney hot but not run me out of the house yes it is 50 something but a late night glass of wine and a bit going in the wood stove can be very relaxing.

I would definitely be lighting a fire as long as your daughter doesn't have any strong objections. I wish it was cool enough for a fire most nights.

Fire

can she (help) handle keeping the stove going as needed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.