What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
http://waterloo.craigslist.org/zip/4033598412.html
I swung by this place this morning fully expecting to see some 3" trees the squirrles planted in a fence in the past. What I saw was 2 nice walnuts laying on the ground about 18 to 24" in diameter. No brush, no chips on the lawn, all nice stuff. To my eye the trunks actually looked like better saw logs than firewood. These trees had been taken down by a tree service I'm sure due to the proximity to houses and fences. This is in a part of town that is , well, kinda poor. So I'm getting a bad feelin as I have called on CL adds for some things were another person had a hardon for an enemy and was posting stuff just to make thier phone ring off the hook. I knock on the door. No one answers. I stand there, saws in truck, almost 2 full cords of far wood layin there for the taken or some really nice lumber. I just shruged my shoulders and drove off. I got enough wood for 4 years at least so I guess I dont need the hassel of me cuttin in some strangers front yard and gettin the law called on me.

Reactions: Ashful
Probably a good idea. When it comes to Craigslist, I bail out at any sign of trouble

I think you did the right thing. You never know what somebody did,joke or what. Try again at a later time.

Maybe they weren't home, Butcher.....at least you tried. I noticed the ad has been pulled....maybe it was a 'screwjob' ad, like you mentioned.....

Good move.
Best to talk to the owner, saves possible heart aches.

I'm amazed somebody would respond to a CL add that say, "come in the back yard and take as much of the wood as you want". I personally don't make any visit until I have confirmation via email or a phone #.

Reactions: Thistle
Even though the ad has been pulled, I would check back. Sounds like an easy score on some decent wood.

I'm amazed somebody would respond to a CL add that say, "come in the back yard and take as much of the wood as you want". I personally don't make any visit until I have confirmation via email or a phone #.
It was 2 blocks from my place of employment or I wouldnt have wasted the drive since I have 27 acres of timber that I can cut at will when I want. I guess I failed to mention that and the fact that I had a 1 ton dump truck and a 14 foot dump trailor in tow taboot. Just sounded like sumpthin to do on a 95° morning. I live in the sticks and dont like folks trespassin or stealin and I aint about to do such to others so I drove away.

I wouldnt have wasted the drive since I have 27 acres of timber that I can cut at will
I'll drive if I can get something I don't have here, and I want. I don't have any dead 18-24" Walnut so I might drive for it. Red Oak? No need to drive. >>

As was said, CL ad no confirmation on someone else' property, & I'm history. Good move imho. A C

Reactions: schlot
As was said, CL ad no confirmation on someone else' property, & I'm history. Good move imho. A C
I see the ad was in the Waterloo Craigslist group, was it actually in that town? If so, I am very familiar with that neighborhood and its reputation (grew up in the burbs) and I would definitely say you did the right thing.

I see the ad was in the Waterloo Craigslist group, was it actually in that town? If so, I am very familiar with that neighborhood and its reputation (grew up in the burbs) and I would definitely say you did the right thing.
Yeah, N.E. side of town. Luckily I'm scarier than most of the inhabitents of that part of the zoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.