What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiest

Jan 31, 2007
I just sold my wood boiler for $3000

Option 1: New chimney AND Pacific Energy Super 27 for $5000

Option 2. New Chimney AND Englander 30 for about $3200

I COULD do either. BUT I can do option 2 with very little out of pocket.

My main concern is that the englander will be too much heat for me. My house is 2000 sq feet but 600 of that is below the level of the stove and is not likely to be heated by it. From what I hear the Englander 13 wont give me the overnight burns I want.

Suggestions? Comments? Jokes clean or otherwise?

Two Nuns walk into a stove shop...

Either stove will do the job for ya. If you are in upstate Nu Yawk. Really just depends on how the stove "feels" to you when you look it over. $1,800 more for the Super 27 sounds kinda pricey. What are the prices for the two stoves? A Super 27 with no frills should run you are $1,600 to $1,800.

I have experience with a wood stove that was too small but never one that was too big. Not quite sure if this one will be too big. If it is...ugh. I hate $2000 decisions.

I had a Pacific Energy Super 27 (the plainest possible, with no ash dump), and a new stainless steel stovepipe/chimney (about 15', straight up from the stove) installed for ~$2000 3 years ago.
We love it and heat a 1900 sq. ft. house in a climate similar to yours.
So $5000 sounds like alot.

Two Nuns walk into a stove shop...

Either stove will do the job for ya. If you are in upstate Nu Yawk. Really just depends on how the stove "feels" to you when you look it over. $1,800 more for the Super 27 sounds kinda pricey. What are the prices for the two stoves? A Super 27 with no frills should run you are $1,600 to $1,800.

Right, and a new liner installed shouldn't be more than $2,000 unless there is more to the story.

If you know the super27 will do the job, I am hesitant to say that the 30 is the right choice since it is a much bigger stove.

Well the 5000 is for a new chimney and the PE super 27. Plus tear out and removal of the old insert and chimney. And its not for a liner its for a complete metal chimney system.

Still, the price difference should only be about $800-$1,000, not $1,800.

OK another question. Lets say I have the guy do the chimney and get it all ready for a stove install and I buy the englander from Home depot. Lets assume the guys does the chimney and leaves the pipe coming from the wall. Do I need to make sure he has the pipe at the exact correct height? Does he need to know the exact dimensions of the stove plus the hearth? Or can he just build it to code and I can put the stove in myself with little problems.

The pipe I just had installed was telescoping, so as long as it's not extended all the way or pushed in all the way, you should have quite a bit of room to play with. I think the telescoping pipe is standard.

telescoping horizontal or vertical? What happens if it doesn't fit right? DO you cut that kind of pipe or what?

If this is an exterior wall chimney, then the thimble height (where it enters the house) should be at least 18" higher than the stove if possible, 2 ft is even better. Just try keep it 18" or more below the ceiling height if you are connecting with single wall pipe. The higher thimble will allow a section of vertical pipe connector (which can be telescoping) to adjust the fit. The 90 and horiz. section are usually not adjustable, but could be if that is the best solution. Or you can connect with a shorter vertical pipe off the stove, then a 45 elbow, a telescoping diagonal piece, then another 45 and a short connector into the thimble.

Yeah the ceiling clearance is the thing, as BeGreen says. The rest you can adjust. As I have to do every time I play musical stoves in the basement.

Don't put a thimble in that is too close to the ceiling. Like the idiot that built this house did.

Here's a diagram for a BK Princess that shows pipe clearances for single-wall pipe. Clearances can be reduced with double wall pipe, but I still like seeing the thimble at least 18" from the ceiling if possible. In an 8' ceiling room that places the top of the thimble no higher than 78".

exterior prefab chimney.PNG

I often see recomendations on this forum for horizontal runs of stove pipe that are not truly horizontal but rather have some slope. If you plan on a slight slope to the horizontal part of the chimney then it will be possible to adjust the slope a little to make the chimney fit the installed height of the stove, provided you plan for approximately the right height stove.

Good point WD. The horizontal section should be kept as short as possible and have a minimum pitch of 1/4" per foot upward, toward the thimble and chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.