What would you pay? or would you bother...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwatt65

May 8, 2013
West Orange NJ
I'm looking at some black oak seasoned only one year, seller wants $200 a cord! must be picked up and it all has to be wheel barreled about 80 feet and hand carried another 25 feet.
Is it too much money for all the work involved?

Probably not too bad a price. Wood around me was $220-230 green split and delivered this summer.

Yes, Too much in NJ. Can get wood 200 delivered. Your assuming its truly seasoned.

Yes, Too much in NJ. Can get wood 200 delivered. Your assuming its truly seasoned.

That's what I was thinking, it still needs at least 1 more year to season! but all the work involved in getting it! plus I might even have to rent a uhaul!
Would love it for next year! But with my time & everything else??

That's what I was thinking, it still needs at least 1 more year to season! but all the work involved in getting it! plus I might even have to rent a uhaul!
Would love it for next year! But with my time & everything else??
You should be able to get tree man wood for free. If you don't have the time or gumption to process it then find some cordwood delivered.

Personally I wouldn't even bother. For the price I would rather buy compressed wood bricks.

I'm going to get two cords delivered tomorrow for $400 how large of a truck does it need to be? tired of getting shorted!

I'm going to get two cords delivered tomorrow for $400 how large of a truck does it need to be? tired of getting shorted!
Make sure your there when it gets delivered. If the truck doesn't at least have double rear axles its not two cord.

If it's really seasoned a year, that's not bad at all. I'd say go for it.

But I do say that as a non- wood buyer. I cut and process all of mine...

I'm looking at some black oak seasoned only one year, seller wants $200 a cord! must be picked up and it all has to be wheel barreled about 80 feet and hand carried another 25 feet.
Is it too much money for all the work involved?

If it is a legit cord, bring some help. Dump the wheel barrels 25 feet away, and then start carrying. It won't take that long.

Oh, moisture meter it first. If it aint ready, tell him a buck 50.

IDK, wood is easy enough to come by around here. I get white oak, beech and hickory mixed cords for $150, seasoned almost 2 years. MM proves it. Im spoiled. ANd scrounging in the woods is a breeze.

She's being adamant with the price, and doesn't seem to understand how much of her stacks takes two cords! To much work involved for the price.
If I can get 2 cords for $400 dumped in the driveway, I will go that route! It will be fun to see what he shows up with tomorrow...
Fresh batteries in the MM.

PASS

I am curious how this turns out for you. There is a huge difference in the volume of wood stacked orderly on a trailer or stacked, than a pile dropped in the driveway. You won't know what you get till you re-stack the latter. On the former you can take a tape measure and know exactly what you are getting.

I am curious how this turns out for you. There is a huge difference in the volume of wood stacked orderly on a trailer or stacked, than a pile dropped in the driveway. You won't know what you get till you re-stack the latter. On the former you can take a tape measure and know exactly what you are getting.

Not good! showed up with a truck 10 ft bed 4 ft side and maybe 5 ft wide! said each piece was hand put in;lol scattered all over the place.
he said it was 1 cord & he'd return with the other.

So the search continues...

Not good! showed up with a truck 10 ft bed 4 ft side and maybe 5 ft wide! said each piece was hand put in;lol scattered all over the place.

Well, 10 x 4 x 5 = 200 cubic feet.

Wood tossed will be 190 cubic feet per cord. So that sounds about right for one cord.

That's a cord, did you turn him away?

Stack it and see what it is before you decide whether you got a good deal or not.

a lot of people don't realize how small a cord of wood actually is......

That's a cord, did you turn him away?

I turned him away, the wood was not that great! some rotten and covered in dirty.I found another seller selling unseasoned ash & maple for $150 a cord free stacking with a 2 cord order, it will take all the guessing away. Don't need the wood this year!

Even more don't realize what a cord is -128 cubic ft - that would be a solid cube 4'x4'x8 ft or any combination of three dimensions when multiplied together equaling 128. Generally with split wood you allow about 10% loss for air gaps.

I turned him away, the wood was not that great! some rotten and covered in dirty.I found another seller selling unseasoned ash & maple for $150 a cord free stacking with a 2 cord order, it will take all the guessing away. Don't need the wood this year!

This sounds good. Unless its two face cords and boxelder.

On the contrary, many don't know how big a FULL cord is, especially when they try to move it with a small pickup truck.

In your area I would offer him $100 a cord if it's good stuff. In my area half that then work up. You have many options....it's very hard for home owners to sell wood that has to be picked up. After a couple weeks he will come down to reality or you will find a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.