what ya got for next yr?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
i up to 3 cords and going strong just got 4 pick up loads today from a guy who just cut a tree 2 blocks away, sweet.... craig s list has been good to me again this yr so much wood to split all for free oak maple cherry and ash. looking good so far hows by u guys.

I'll be burning mostly red oak, white ash and some box elder, silver maple for the shoulder season. I have some black locust and white oak slated for the cold days.

I've got 5 cord of mostly oak that was put in the field late July early Aug., of '09. I plan to take down some spruce that are crowding out a few maples, and those will be good for early shoulder season stovechow.

4 cords stacked in Mar/Apr 2010. 1 cord stacked in June 2009

I have mixed scrounge wood stacked for at least two or three years down the line. It is a mix of everything that grows around here, which means mostly hardwood, about half oak, lots of soft maples (Red and Norway), and a little bit of everything else.

Are you asking about 2010 or 2011? This is just my second year of burning but I have been busy and now have almost 20 cords. Well I did, it is going down and sold a little. For the rest of this burning season I am burning some cherry, white oak and locust with a little sassafrass mixed in. Next year mostly Oak, Beech, Maple and Hickory as well as the Sassafrass mixed in.

About 3 cords of mixed hickory, oak, and ash. So far this year my son and I have cut five loads of red and white oak and one load of sycamore.

I'm not sure yet... it depends what I burn this year, and so far I've burned surprisingly little... Burned about 1 cord of poplar... that's it... still have another cord of poplar to go, then 1 cord of ash, then a little over 2 cords of hard maple, and 1 cord of mixed woods, dogwood, cherry, a little hickory and apple too...

If my burning so far this season is any indication of my wood use this year then I will barely burn through the ash, in that case I'll use the maple next year... by then my 10 cords of oak should be seasoned, that should last me 3-4 years, then my 15+ cords of locust and hedge should last me another 6-8 years...

But it's hard to predict how much i'll burn each year so I'll stop speculating and start cutting to be sure I have enough wood to burn for the rest of my days... :)

about 2 cords of fir and 3 cords of big leaf maple for the 2011/2012 season

argus66 said:
i up to 3 cords and going strong just got 4 pick up loads today from a guy who just cut a tree 2 blocks away, sweet.... craig s list has been good to me again this yr so much wood to split all for free oak maple cherry and ash. looking good so far hows by u guys.

Started the heating season with just over 17 cord stacked if my count is correct with another 1.5 cords left in the woods (up top) when the snow hit.

zap

Zap and Dennis, you guys need not reply, we KNOW that you have enough to last 'til 3011! (Just kiddin) I have recently split about 3 1/2 cords of white ash, and will have another 2 1/2 cords of 2 yr old red oak. I just wish I had more room to stash some more....the wife is starting to get a little nervous that I'm taking over the yard.

I have about a cord of pin oak, about a cord and a half of Bradford pear, another cord of mixed poplar and red maple, and my latest treasure of a score, my neighbor told me he cut a tree down in the summer of 2009 and has the wood cut into firewood length rounds and I can have it all. I went and looked at it and there is about a cord and a half of hickory sitting there, I am stoked!

Our pile has just about everything that grows in the area. Not discriminating has gotten me a few years ahead. The good stuff is locust, beech and sugar maple.

Oh I have about 4 cords of willow oak that I am going to try to 'fast-season' over the summer.
Only about half is split, so I might let it sit in rounds until spring.
Since I usually only have a 3 month burning season at most, this should be 1.5 winters worth, but we'll see.
I also have some ash, sweetgum, sycamore and southern red oak mixed in.
I'm sure I'll get at least one more CList score, and I'm usually scanning for dead trees all summer long

1.5 cord white oak in rounds that needs split.

6 cord red/white oak (about 50/50 red vs. white) c/s/s Nov '10.

3.5 cord white ash/red elm/cherry c/s/s Oct '10.

3.5 cord red elm c/s/s March '10.

3 cord red and chinese elm/tulip poplar/cherry/white oak c/s/s March '10 to finish this burning season (I hope).

I'll cut 5-6 cord this spring to refill half of the woodshed. Mostly elm, cherry, ash, and oak.

According to my public school education that puts me at 16 cord stacked.

Funny this thread is created as I just went out with a tape measure yesterday to see if the stacks of wood I just created are as much as I had hoped for...I know they were a lot of work!
On pallets I have about 3 cords of ash, 1.5 cords of cherry and 1.5 cords of maple. This should be more than enough for 2011-12. I also have just over a cord of pin oak that I'll probably let season for 2 years but they are split so small I probably could use next year if needed.
Late yesterday I took a walk and I have about another 3+ cords of trees waiting for me in the wooded areas near the home so I'll be busy for a bit this winter :)

I have half a cord of mixed oak and ash in 9 inch splits on a couple of pallets. A good spell of foraging in the woods behind our house since the snow bought down several branches means I now have another half cord of mixed sycamore and hawthorn ready to cut and split. I also have a cord of mixed wood (beech, ash, and oak) still out in some woods nearby which has been offered to me free by the owner in return for help with cutting his wood. I suspect I will be able to get at least another half cord from behind our house before exhausting all the standing deadwood nearby. Total 2 1/2 cords and still collecting :)

wood-fan-atic said:
Zap and Dennis, you guys need not reply, we KNOW that you have enough to last 'til 3011! (Just kiddin) I have recently split about 3 1/2 cords of white ash, and will have another 2 1/2 cords of 2 yr old red oak. I just wish I had more room to stash some more....the wife is starting to get a little nervous that I'm taking over the yard.

:lol: :lol:

"What ya got for next yr?"

For next year we have ash.

For the following year we have ash.

For the following year we have more ash.

For the following year we have more ash.

For the following year we have still more ash.

And finally, we are working on the following year plus cutting just a few oaks that will burn in about 3 years. Will save it for night time burning.

Next year is a 5 cord mix of red oak, white ash, red maple, yellow, white, and black birch, and cherry. It's a pretty even hodgepodge of each species, but a little heavy on the red oak, ash and cherry. It's been stacked in good sun and wind since ~ May of 2009, so it'll be about 2.5 years seasoned. All but the oak was ready to go this year if I needed it, and even the oak was getting real close - ~ 22%MC - should be real nice for next year. Cheers!

I've got a 4-Pallet Holz Hausen 6' high with the roof up to about 8.5'. My calculator tells me it's 3.029375 cord. I say around 2.5 cord. 1/2 Elm, 1/3 Mulberry, 1.3 Oak. All split this summer.
Also have a cord of Red Oak with Mulberry sprinkles single-stacked since spring and a little pile of Silver Maple & Elm (maybe 1/3 cord) to be split & stacked once I clear some rack space.
I'll be okay unless I have to dip in to get through this season.

I have a lot of silver maple from 2009 when I cut up two big monsters that measured 43" and 39"DBH. I also have been cutting alot of ash this year. I usually don't get to burn much of it but this next winter I will have more than 3 cord of ash. So 5-6 cord of maple plus the 3 c of ash and a little bitternut hickory. 1/2 at my place and I keep 1/2 at my FIL's farm.

I've got about 5 cords of 90% Red and White Oak and 10% Cherry, Locust, Norway Maple mix for 2011/2012 and probably some of 2012/2013 too, plus whatever of this year's is left over.
DSC06328.jpg

Couple cords of water oak and a couple cords of Pecan

Status
Not open for further replies.