What you've all been waiting for, another "HELP ME FIND A STOVE" thread..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Real pretty, but...if that's stone veneer on the back wall mounted directly onto combustible materials, the back clearance is insufficient, if the stovepipe is single wall, it's way too close to the left side structure (why can't the stovepipe go straight up?), and there appears to be insufficient clearance to combustibles in front of the stove. Other than that, it looks great. :-S Rick

BeGreen said:
That works great. I lightened up the pic a little. That is a beautiful spot and the home looks really nice too. But the bad news is that appears to be a really illegal installation. Is that single wall pipe? If yes, the flue pipe clearances look way out of the safety zone.

How many square feet are you trying to heat with the stove?

Yep.. Single wall pipe. Not really trying to heat any particular amount of square feet. We keep the heat pump set at about 67 in the back part of the house. Some times it comes on and circulates the warmer air from the area shown . There are a couple of return vents in this room to warm the rest of the house when the heat pump kicks on. Legal or not, when this thing is running full tilt you can touch any stone anywhere you want, and it's not hot..

fossil said:
Real pretty, but...if that's stone veneer on the back wall mounted directly onto combustible materials, the back clearance is insufficient, if the stovepipe is single wall, it's way too close to the left side structure (why can't the stovepipe go straight up?), and there appears to be insufficient clearance to combustibles in front of the stove. Other than that, it looks great. :-S Rick

There's a bedroom above so the stovepipe has to be where it is.. The stove pipe is not as close as it appears in the pic. It is however only aboout 7" away.

Something doesn't jibe with this setup. It sounds like you are going through Alaskan amounts of wood, yet are in a mild climate. Is the stove being run without the cat bypass?

Regardless, please understand that we can't advise something that isn't safe. With the number of corners cut, one has to wonder, where else were clearances compromised? I don't think we can help you much here unless you want to set things right. Sorry. This installation may seem safe or it may be a time bomb. There's no way we can tell that.

I will pass on a bit of personal experience with a neighbor. He did everything himself and did it his way. Never shielded the attic penetration and cut clearances to combustibles too close. It took 7 years of burning, but one day, the tinder dry wood shavings in the support box ignited the too close wood surround. (At least this is what the fire dept. said.) Fortunately he only lost the attic of the house, though the water damage was huge.

BeGreen said:
Something doesn't jibe with this setup. It sounds like you are going through Alaskan amounts of wood, yet are in a mild climate. Is the stove being run without the cat bypass?

Regardless, please understand that we can't advise something that isn't safe. With the number of corners cut, one has to wonder, where else were clearances compromised? I don't think we can help you much here unless you want to set things right. Sorry.

I go through way more than I used to. The efficiency has suffered greatly since the cat chamber has been messed up. Several years or more. I finnally decided to fix it this year for that reason.

BeGreen said:

Regardless, please understand that we can't advise something that isn't safe. With the number of corners cut, one has to wonder, where else were clearances compromised? I don't think we can help you much here unless you want to set things right. Sorry. This installation may seem safe or it may be a time bomb. There's no way we can tell that.

I will pass on a bit of personal experience with a neighbor. He did everything himself and did it his way. Never shielded the attic penetration and cut clearances to combustibles too close. It took 7 years of burning, but one day, the tinder dry wood shavings in the support box ignited the too close wood surround. (At least this is what the fire dept. said.) Fortunately he only lost the attic of the house, though the water damage was huge.

The pipe going up inside the chimney is tripple wall (from the point you see upward) and the intire inside of the chimney structure is lined with fireproof drywall..

Make sure your installation is in correctly as per the stove manufacturer or if you have a problem with a house fire the insurance company could point to the stove installation and not pay up.

Poult

fossil said:

Well we don't know "FOR SURE" what is behind the stone wall with the exception of the concrete backer board. We do know it is not an outside wall, and would have no insulation. We do know that the building inspector either signed off on the design or looked the other way.

I am going to extend the hearth out about 18" so that I can slide the new stove outward a little. I am now looking for a medium sized steel stove with short clearances. I also am having my best friend and engineer of many different fields take a closer look. Although he's been over here on MANY occasions, he may never have looked at the setup closely enough. Where the pipe will enter the chimney is what it is.

Heck.. When I first started using it, I was dissapointed the rocks "didn't " get warm

AS for wood usage. I would think it would take 10-15 splits per day (6-7 pieces per load, 3Cu ft box)or more to keep it burning for 24 hrs. 70-105 medium pieces?? Does that sound outrageous?? I just went out and "ballparked" a 4x4 stack came up with about 90 pieces or so.

The room the stove is in is about 400 SF, and 18 feet tall. The room above is also about 400 sf and 13 foot ceilings.. Guess it's alot of cubic feet.

For anyone that has been following this, we are still waiting on Jotul. Apparently, they dont have all of the parts that I need and are trying to figure out if parts from the new 600 model will retrofit. here's the e-mail from the dealer. Guess I'll wait and see.. Stove aws purchased in late 97..

>O.K. This is getting complicated.
I've talked to the folks at Jotul twice now. The problem is that they
don't have all the parts specifically for your model. What they're doing
is comparing the dedicated part to what they can make work with parts for
the new 600 series. We're down to using exploded drawings from the old
model and comparing them to the new and trying to figure out if parts can
be interchanged.
Mike at Jotul is really going the distance trying to figure it all out.
He's supposed to get back to me in the next day or two and I'll call you.
Just didn't want you to think that we'd forgotten you.

Status
Not open for further replies.