Whatcha think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
I have about 4 cords out in a field and I was thinking of making a storage shed to keep it covered this winter, but I just found this on CL, its a bit of a drive to pick it up but it looks perfect for storage, I think I will email to see what sorta volume it holds.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/1451000188.html

I wouldn't give him a dime for it, since it doesn't even have a little crescent moon cutout in the door. Without that, I'm not convinced it ever was a real outhouse. Rick

For $550 I would say you could build something bigger with an open plan for more storage and better seasoning. Neighbors would probably appreciate it too. ;-)

Is it deep enough? :lol:

Maybe Corzine could move into that thing. Very soon, he will be getting the boot outta Trenton. He was also known to be frequently full of crap. !!!!

that is craptastic :) lol
No way would I pay $550 for it

Here's a cheaper shelter: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42211

42211.gif

$299

I'd stack the wood in the open and position the outhouse so that you can see the wood pile while using the outhouse. That is, of course, after you have installed a crescent-moon shaped hole in the door. Alaska magazine has an annual 'best view from an outhouse' contest, and I think you'd could be a contender.

I'm thinking that if it's like most outhouses it will a) not be very large and b) will not be as well ventilated as you might like for use as a woodshed.

Just did a quick sketch and a 8X12 shelter with a simple roof would consist of:
All treated lumber
2*10*12 x 4 @ 11.97= 47.88
2*10*8 x 4 @ 9.97= 38.88
2*6*8 x 6 @ 4.97= 29.82
4 bags quickcrete @ 4.37= 17.48
3 pcs treated plywood couldn't find a price so we'll say 30= 90
misc nails bolts 25
1sq shingles if there's no waste around 70
pallets for the floor free maybe?
2 4*4 or 6*6*10 around 20= 40
2 4*4 or 6*6*8 around 15= 30

Total around $400 plus beer, then it's new, gonna last a while and could be changed to be more custom.
If you live close I would build it for say 2 cord dry wood? After you dig the holes of course.
Just trying to give you and idea. The roof would be just sloped to the back thats why the 10footers in front and the 8's in the back 4*4's that is.

ChrisNJ said:
I have about 4 cords out in a field and I was thinking of making a storage shed to keep it covered this winter, but I just found this on CL, its a bit of a drive to pick it up but it looks perfect for storage, I think I will email to see what sorta volume it holds.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/1451000188.html

I'd pass on that. I have a guy down the road that builds outhouses and sells them for $250 bucks a shot. For $550 I could get one hell of an outhouse.

His tagline is: We're no.1 in the business of no.2

ckarotka said:
probably holds a crap load. ;-)

LOL....I was going to say " be carefull on the way in one slip and you could end up in deep **it"

Yea I think I will have to pass as my wife disliked it, perhaps if it was a two seater she wouldn't be so opposed but she thinks I will spend too much time in it with my wood.

I don't put my nose in other peoples bidness

I'd say the seller is full of crap if he expects to get $550 for a frakin' outhouse!

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.