Whatever Happened to that EIA Fuel Comparison Spreadsheet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Of course, I'm still burning wood, but...

I was at the convenience store the other day and asked the clerk if he know were to buy kerosene from a pump. I burn kerosene in my Aladdin lamps and it's $16/gallon in gallon jugs from my local Tractor Supply.

He said, they had a pump with an above ground tank, but that people weren't using it as much as last year. They switching to propane.

That got me to thinking. I'm burning fuel oil now, and last time I bought I think it was 6 bucks a gallon. I got a generator last year with a 1000 gallon tank whose only other draw is a stove top.

Anyways, I found that EIA spreadsheet very handy. I know at some point, it disappeared, but I was wondering if maybe someone had a copy or knew where one was. Or even a substitute.

Thanks.

Of course, I'm still burning wood, but...

I was at the convenience store the other day and asked the clerk if he know were to buy kerosene from a pump. I burn kerosene in my Aladdin lamps and it's $16/gallon in gallon jugs from my local Tractor Supply.

He said, they had a pump with an above ground tank, but that people weren't using it as much as last year. They switching to propane.

That got me to thinking. I'm burning fuel oil now, and last time I bought I think it was 6 bucks a gallon. I got a generator last year with a 1000 gallon tank whose only other draw is a stove top.

Anyways, I found that EIA spreadsheet very handy. I know at some point, it disappeared, but I was wondering if maybe someone had a copy or knew where one was. Or even a substitute.

Thanks.
I just noticed it went away last week when trying to calculate the point of switchover from wood heat to electric heat pump.

The best alternative I found was at coalpail.com. It’s actually pretty good.

Coincidentally I have a new feurerhand, the German brand, oil lamp due to arrive at my home soon so I’ve been looking at kerosene and lamp oil sources. I like the hurricane lamps.

I just noticed it went away last week when trying to calculate the point of switchover from wood heat to electric heat pump.

The best alternative I found was at coalpail.com. It’s actually pretty good.

Coincidentally I have a new feurerhand, the German brand, oil lamp due to arrive at my home soon so I’ve been looking at kerosene and lamp oil sources. I like the hurricane lamps.
I just got another gallon of 1-K from TSC. It was $12/gal.

I got into collecting Aladdins the last year and a half. First thing I ever collected. You can go crazy with that.

I've had a Coleman kerosene lantern that I haven't started yet.

Reactions: woodgeek
I just got another gallon of 1-K from TSC. It was $12/gal.

I got into collecting Aladdins the last year and a half. First thing I ever collected. You can go crazy with that.

I've had a Coleman kerosene lantern that I haven't started yet.
Rats, just paid 18$ for a gallon of synthetic keroheat from Home Depot. My lamp should arrive tomorrow. The inter webs were pretty particular about which lamp oil/kerosenes should be used indoors. Outdoors, any old undyed pump kerosene is fine.

Rats, just paid 18$ for a gallon of synthetic keroheat from Home Depot. My lamp should arrive tomorrow. The inter webs were pretty particular about which lamp oil/kerosenes should be used indoors. Outdoors, any old undyed pump kerosene is fine.
You're using that lantern indoors?

My wife is pretty particular regarding smells, lol. I find if I light the lamp inside, it's okay. I have to bring the lamp out to the garage to extinguish though, since it make more smell then.

The Crown equivalent to the Kleen Heat product is expensive as well. I found the slightly cheaper 1-K by Crown performs similarly. Don't forget though, the Aladdin has a mantle which I feel might eliminate some odor when glowing, but I'm not certain.

The Aladdin puts out some heat as well.

Reactions: Highbeam

My wife is pretty particular regarding smells, lol. I find if I light the lamp inside, it's okay. I have to bring the lamp out to the garage to extinguish though, since it make more smell then.

The Crown equivalent to the Kleen Heat product is expensive as well. I found the slightly cheaper 1-K by Crown performs similarly. Don't forget though, the Aladdin has a mantle which I feel might eliminate some odor when glowing, but I'm not certain.

Yes, I want to burn the lamp indoors. Power outages, ambiance, I like the color and warmth. Oh and the nostalgia and history.

Reactions: SpaceBus
with the data one can do the math
Boo.

The old calculator was an asset, a tool. One that supported solid fuel heating.

Imagine walking into a pizza restaurant for dinner and them telling you how to make pizza.

We’ll just have to look elsewhere. That’s unfortunate.

Yes, I want to burn the lamp indoors. Power outages, ambiance, I like the color and warmth. Oh and the nostalgia and history.
For this kind of lighting I like to use beeswax candle lanterns. No harmful emissions or bad smells, but probably not as bright as a kerosene lantern.

Some online calculators I use for other hobbies have also been disappearing. It seems that many websites are updating to new frameworks, etc. and the old calculators aren't making the transition. When I mention the disappearances on other forums people reply to me with the formula, but that doesn't really make for a quick calculation!

We stopped using the Aladdin due to the smell. It was present even using refined lamp oil. They are also quite fussy about wick-trimming. Now we mostly use rechargeable LED lanterns and some candles. Or I run the generator and have some real light.

We stopped using the Aladdin due to the smell. It was present even using refined lamp oil. They are also quite fussy about wick-trimming. Now we mostly use rechargeable LED lanterns and some candles. Or I run the generator and have some real light.
Yeah, led are cheaper per hour/Lumen and safer, odorless, cleaner to buy, etc. these hurricane lamps are just cool. The wife compares them to jewelry.

We do of course have other light sources in the event of a power outage.

Love the baby feuerhand.

EEAEF0FF-21A7-4BB3-839E-557AC2FCC1AD.jpeg

Reactions: velvetfoot
We were out of power for 12 hours, mostly overnight. The 22kw Generac kicked on automatically, which is sweet. I had previously rigged something up so that I could turn it off without going out in the storm-after shedding load and a cool down first, of course. Ran it for another couple of hours in the morning for water, basically, and then used the Honda 2k inverter til the end of the outage.

With an Aladdin, you don't really trim the wick, you clean it, only occasionally, with a special device that gets the right angle on the wick. If it's uneven, you rechar the wick until it's level again.

Mantle production has restarted in India and I've had good luck with them. Mantles are key with Aladdins.

What nice about them is that they are quiet, compared to pressurized lamps and lanterns.

I was under the impression that lanterns were mainly for outdoor use, because the designs were wind (and rain?) proof. I have no idea why they couldn't be burned indoors, although I did have some spillage out in the garage with a cheap lantern, related to overfilling I think. It'd be a research project for me to figure out how they work, lol.

I really like an area illumination type, aluminum bodied, flashlight I got at Harbor Freight. You can clip it to your belt as you move around in a dark area. Plus, it's got a magnetic base. Plus, and not insignificantly, it's only 7 bucks.

I found a couple copies of heatcalc.xls on the web.

Attachments

• heatcalc(1).zip
    31.6 KB · Views: 82