whats a fair price for unsplit green oak and maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Like the title says,

I have a guy who is willing to sell me a cord or two of unsplit, green oak and maple rounds loaded into my truck/trailer.

He is a town over so it is convienient.

He wanted 125 a cord, but i told him that was way too much since I saw on craigslist another guy selling 1 year seasosned oak that is split for 150 a cord not delivered (tempted to jump on that)

I dont want to low-ball the guy, but im not in a huge need for green oak/maple.

Im thinking a fair offer is 75 a cord, what do you guys think? (around here i can get a cord of split oak delivered for 170$)

I would think 175.00 fair 2 cords

If I was cutting and splitting it - it would cost you about $1000 per cord. Thats probably why I don't/won't sell any. :lol:

I guess I wasnt clear in my original post, he only wants 125$ a cord, but is willing to sell it for less if i make him a reasonable offer. I am not willing to pay 125$ a cord since a. i dont really need the wood that bad, and b. i can get the wood already split and seasoned for 150 a cord

I do not want to low ball him, but in order for me to buy the wood it needs to be a good deal for me since i will have to transport it, split it, and season it. I believe he is not a person who typically sells wood, he is a homeowner that is cutting down several trees and wants the wood gone and wants to make some money off of it, rather then give it away.

ColdNH said:
I do not want to low ball him, but in order for me to buy the wood it needs to be a good deal for me.....

Telling a person "Its worth xx dollars to me" shouldn't be offending. If its worth more than that to them, they have the option to keep it. You could approach it as "Hey, I already got more than I know what to do with, but if you would sell it at xxx bucks, I would be interested."

ColdNH said:
I guess I wasnt clear in my original post, he only wants 125$ a cord, but is willing to sell it for less if i make him a reasonable offer. I am not willing to pay 125$ a cord since a. i dont really need the wood that bad, and b. i can get the wood already split and seasoned for 150 a cord

I do not want to low ball him, but in order for me to buy the wood it needs to be a good deal for me since i will have to transport it, split it, and season it. I believe he is not a person who typically sells wood, he is a homeowner that is cutting down several trees and wants the wood gone and wants to make some money off of it, rather then give it away.

Did you get a look at it? It's really hard to say what's it worth with out seeing it. Is there a bunch of Y's and knots? If you feel there plenty of straight wood, offer him $90 bucks to rid him of it. Most home owners that don't burn wood give it away. Seeing how he wants to sell it Low ball and you can always come up on the price.

I would snap up on 150 a cord split...unsplit I agree, 75 max!

I figure it is all green, so you have to decide what splitting is worth. I think I'd split wood for $50 a cord if it was mostly from straight trunks. Probably a guy with a hydraulic splitter would do it for less.

Last Fall I paid $120 per cord, three cord minimum, for green rounds of mostly red and white oak. I needed to get my late 2010/11 wood spilt and stacked. Now that I have more time, I am back to scrounging for 2011/12.

Status
Not open for further replies.