What's a good use for ashes???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay3000

Jul 30, 2008
Greensboro, NC
I generate about 100-150 gallons of ashes per year. I usally just scatter then in the woods or in the yard.. What else can you do with them??

I have a large mulch garden!I throw ashes in that.

Or simply put-"ashes are a poor man`s lime"..

If you keep chickens (I do now) add some ashes to their 'dusting' areas in the run to help reduce any parasites they might have. Old time practice that's been proven to work.

I am not sure how industrious you intend to be with it. It can be used as a pH raiser and potassium enhancer for soil. It can be used for ice traction. You could make an ash hopper and extract potassium hydroxide from it. Potassium hydroxide is used in soapmaking or as a drain cleaner or if you have an efficient way to desiccate it as a catalyst in biodiesel production.

PAJerry said:
If you keep chickens (I do now) add some ashes to their 'dusting' areas in the run to help reduce any parasites they might have. Old time practice that's been proven to work.

We have a cat that loves to "dust" himself in wood ash.

BeGreen said:
PAJerry said:

hope its not a white one, or its now a gray one.

stoveguy2esw said:
BeGreen said:
PAJerry said:

hope its not a white one, or its now a gray one.

Mine too....gray on the top, white on the bottom. After rolling in the ash, gray everywhere. Hopefully he isnt licking up too many heavy metals/toxins after washing himself clean.

I throw a lot of the ash in a wide swatch over the lawn to offset the acidity in the soil that comes from the rain/snow/ferts.

I throw the ashes on the leaf pile from the fall cleanup. Then in the spring I till it all into one big mix. By the fall, there's some very nice composte.

The hill tribes of Thailand mix ash with bark and brush there teeth with the mixture, say good bye to pearly whites, and say hello to coal colored teeth.

Adios Pantalones said:
I use it as an eye scrub. I rinse them out with vinegar after. Really gets the grime off your eyeballs.

AND cataracts.

mix a little with water to make a paste and you can clean woodstove glass doors or, go into the silver polishing business
or mix some of that with animal fat and boil it well and make soap and take a bath.

Adios Pantalones said:
I use it as an eye scrub. I rinse them out with vinegar after. Really gets the grime off your eyeballs.

LOL....Too funny....you guys need some cold weather so you's can start burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.