What's a Magnahilic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I'm just a guy that went and bought a old Whitfield pellet stove and enjoy the pellet fire, a consumer, a end user. So what is a Magnahilic and when and where would it be used on a pellet stove. I'm mechaniaclly inclined so bore me with details. On one of the Whitfield user guide I download had some readings on the front page. Are these readings something taken with a Magnahilic. I don't know if a Magnahilic has horns or wings (being funny here). bjr23

I'm sure there will be folks to explain
but you can Google it and you will find
more info than you need. Magnehelic is
the correct spelling I believe. Not trying
to be the grammar police, but it will help
when Googling. Gd luck!

Webmaster said:
A draft gauge.....
look on ebay....I bought one there once.....

Basically, it measures suction

Craig, I thought about getting one off eBay, but is it really necessary? Is it one of those purchases you'll use once on a particular stove, and never need again (unless you change stoves)?

And what's a good price to pay for one?

I think I paid about 35....but not sure which one I have.
Yes, you are better off borrowing one is possible.....perhaps even a simple draft gauge will do.....
http://www.drillspot.com/products/75811/Bacharach_13-3000_Draftrite_Pocket_Draft_Gauge

If I get a chance I will look at which one I have and what the range it. I'd be glad to mail it to you to fiddle around with, as I am not using it now.

You have to look at the range...some are for very strong suction, others on a smaller scale for draft, etc.

I don't know that I'd bother with one unless I was installing stoves. I'd try to just borrow one if I was installing my own stove, or just eyeball the flame as that's what most installers do anyway.

I have one ................Have i ever used it on my stove................. no.
After playing with the trim screws I come to the conclusion a pellet stove opperates basicly like A carburator on a older motor air fuel mix with a clean exhaust pipe..............
get the best flame you can get on low

I get 200 degree air temp & 280 degree stove top on low auger speed - auger timed 9.27 seconds in between dumps

whitfeid advantage ll-T

Webmaster said:
I think I paid about 35....but not sure which one I have.
Yes, you are better off borrowing one is possible.....perhaps even a simple draft gauge will do.....
http://www.drillspot.com/products/75811/Bacharach_13-3000_Draftrite_Pocket_Draft_Gauge

If I get a chance I will look at which one I have and what the range it. I'd be glad to mail it to you to fiddle around with, as I am not using it now.

You have to look at the range...some are for very strong suction, others on a smaller scale for draft, etc.

Thanks craig. I'll take a look on ebay and see if someone is selling a decent one cheap. Thanks for the offer to send it, though.

macman,

I purchased mine on ebay. I got it for my Omega, manual recommended it for proper install. I think I paid less than $20.00 including shipping.

I love to tinker and its a neat little gadget to have. I check my stove on a weekly basis. Just to verify the draft. If I start seeing a drop. Then I know my stove and flue need a cleaning. To me its a handly tool to have around.

jay

There are lots of applications. I have one attached to my spray booth to measure the filter resistence. I pulled it and checked the p-stove install. Didn't help me improve the burn. The "What I see is better than what it says," rule applied. Most contractors can help you, but I think it's application to your stove is minimal. If you are installing a used stove, it probably had the initial adjustment set by the prior install. If you can't get it to work correctly, then borrow or rent one to so the settings.

jtakeman said:
macman,

I purchased mine on ebay. I got it for my Omega, manual recommended it for proper install. I think I paid less than $20.00 including shipping.

I love to tinker and its a neat little gadget to have. I check my stove on a weekly basis. Just to verify the draft. If I start seeing a drop. Then I know my stove and flue need a cleaning. To me its a handly tool to have around.

jay

Jay (or anyone), let's say I get my hands on one......is there a "standard' measurement of inches of water that all stoves should run at, or does it vary by stove? And if the stove reads wrong, how do you "fix" it?

macman said:
jtakeman said:
macman,

jay

Jay (or anyone), let's say I get my hands on one......is there a "standard' measurement of inches of water that all stoves should run at, or does it vary by stove? And if the stove reads wrong, how do you "fix" it?

macman,

My stove has a spec to set it at. I am not sure about the Englander. Maybe Mike Holton can get the info for you. Or maybe totally not needed on your stove for setup at all.

If my stove is perfectly clean and the reading is low. I open the manual damper plate to its specific setting. High reading is opposite

jay

I think they all vary a little. I only used them on Enviro's and once on an Astoria but it seems the readings I was looking for were different.

Didn't you have an Astoria Macman?

Shane said:
I think they all vary a little. I only used them on Enviro's and once on an Astoria but it seems the readings I was looking for were different. Didn't you have an Astoria Macman?

Yep, but the key word there is "had"....I sold it, and bought the Englander.....I wanted a multi-fuel stove for the future.

The Astoria had adjustable air intake, so I could see using the magnehelic on that, but I don't know if I can on the Englander. Maybe by changing the LBA control????

I think a Magnahelic is like a henway....

We use ours daily in installations and to diagnose problems with stoves and furnaces, but I cant imagine a typical stove owner using one very often, if at all. Its kinda like a stethescope, a doctor or nurse uses one all the time, and its a very important tool for them, but a typical person would not normally need/want/use one.

Status
Not open for further replies.