What's baffle insulation made of? Osburn 1600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
I think my stove may be missing the baffle insulation. I can't find an exact manual so I'm not real sure but I found a similar one. Both stove (the one in the manual and mine) use fire brick for the baffle, but the manual says there should be baffle insulation. What is it or what's it made of? Is it different than the 1/2" insulation blanket that I just bought for my liner (i have some left)?

My Napoleon NZ3000 has a insulation blanket above the top baffle...It is a ceramic fiber blanket, I'm not sure if your stove requires one or not....you can buy that blanketing in bulk, check eBay its on there for sale all the time.....Check with the manufacturer to see if your stove is supposed to have one, if it is missing they should be responsible for supplying one for you..

It wasn't a new stove so I'm on the hook for it. From what I can tell The liner isulation is made from ceramic wool as well and I have about 5' of it left over. The liner insulation states it's rated at 2300 degrees. Just hate to buy some when I may have a few feet of it already.

rwhite said:
It wasn't a new stove so I'm on the hook for it. From what I can tell The liner isulation is made from ceramic wool as well and I have about 5' of it left over. The liner insulation states it's rated at 2300 degrees. Just hate to buy some when I may have a few feet of it already.
if it's rated for 2300 degrees that would be fine in the stove......

Same stuff as the liner insulation. The kaowool used on top of the baffle does not not have foil on it like most liner insulation would. The foil should not be a problem if you use the liner insulation.

Thanks Mike, I finally figured out it was the same stuff. When I got the stove it only had 4 bricks and no insulation for the baffle. The manual (which I finally found the right one) shows 6 bricks and 1" blanket insulation. After trying like crazy and itching all night I finally gave up on trying to get 2 pieces of 1/2" on top of the bricks and just stuck with one. I don't know if I can tell a lot of difference or not. I think the bricks may do most of the baffle work and the insulation just keeps a bit more heat in the box.

As long as your secondaries work well and your chimney is staying as clean as normal I think you are fine. My 2400 has 1/2" kaowool on top of the baffles. I know the older Osburn stoves used firebrick for baffles. I actually prefer firebrick to the vermiculite baffle boards as they seem to hold up better and they are less expensive to replace. Perhaps since the bricks are not one continuous sheet they used 1" of insulation on top for better performance, that is just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.