What's causing this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
What's causing my stove to do this? Is this back puffing? Or a down draft?

Can't tell, no pic or low res pic if it's your avatar. Tell us more

Trying to get a video to upload but having trouble

Can't figure out how to upload a video can someone help me out?

Well until I can get the video to load. The best way I can describe what was going on would be I had good secondaries on a small load on a fresh start up from a cold stove. You would kinda hear a faint Iike poof and it looked as if the secondary's were blown down (they were running like the gas stove jet) and almost out then quickly reignigt. It also seemed like when they were going and this would happen it almost looked as if the flames were all getting sucked up the chimney.

I'm sure this is confusing sounding but it's the best way I can describe it.

Photo bucket or similar would work too.

Had you cut the air down? It sounds like you ran out of air, the fire went out, then reignited once the fresh air moved in.

You didnt mention that smoke entered the house, so back puffing seems unlikely.

It's not that weird, actually. It's usually caused by an eratic or insufficient primary air flow. All the oxygen gets used up at once, then the firebox refills and POOF it happens again. By opening the primary draft control even slightly it should stop happening. Bet your wood is really dry. Like really dry.