What's code on wiring up an add-on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdew1920

Jan 29, 2008
Michigan
Anybody know what code requires for running power to an add-on furnace? Can you use the same circuit as the main furnace, does it requre its own circuit or can I tap into another existing circuit?

I believe that since they both wont be running at the same time you can wire them together on the same circuit with no problem. That's how we ran mine and I do believe that it is up to code...at least here in Michigan, your area may vary.

It depends upon the inspector. They like to see dedicated circuits for equipment for service reasons. Other than that as long as the amperage of both units together does not go over the rated amperage of the wire or the breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.