whats cookin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
just finished dinner. T-bone and butter/garlic fried shrimp potatoes and carrots. this is my one year anniversary of being laid off. man, do we ever need jobs around here. only thing available is minimum wage...

We had chili, made on the woodstove. Being laid off is really tough but thankfully many have been helped with the extended government help. Still many losing homes and that is really sad. I hope things pick up for you soon Dave.

Indian fry bread taco's!

Big pot of brown rice, canned corn, canned chilli beans, and spiced tomatoes/sauce. Maybe $0.25/serving. Very good.

jebatty said:
Big pot of brown rice, canned corn, canned chilli beans, and spiced tomatoes/sauce. Maybe $0.25/serving. Very good.

Now Your talking! Cheep and GOOD..........

Southern style pork chops (very inexpensive - 1.49lb) lightly brown w/ a little olive oil in the cast iron dutch oven, not too hot or too long - then pile on top onions, carrots, and potatoes- if small they can be done whole but usually I have medium sized and slice the potato and onion in half. Cook at ~300 for a couple hours, covered - meat will be fall off the bone tender. Cheap, delicious, easy - whats not to like!!

szmaine said:
Southern style pork chops (very inexpensive - 1.49lb) lightly brown w/ a little olive oil in the cast iron dutch oven, not too hot or too long - then pile on top onions, carrots, and potatoes- if small they can be done whole but usually I have medium sized and slice the potato and onion in half. Cook at ~300 for a couple hours, covered - meat will be fall off the bone tender. Cheap, delicious, easy - whats not to like!!

Sounds Awesome! You need wood? lol

localLEE said:
Yur doin sumthin rite if'n U had tbone after 1 year layoff

t-boan wuz 3.99/pond. sure-imp wuz 5/pond kerrotz wuz .99/ fer 2 ponds taters wuz 1.58/ tan ponds. eye tink eye did purty good. duh meet iz nut ulweze dat prize. eye tri 2 leaf purty cun-serve-at LEE. ull bills r pade. hom lone iz pade til spreeng. wud piole iz beeg yet. ya, eye em dooen sumthin rite.

in one of your previous posts, you were amazed at the price that people charge for their services...i guess it was more of what people pay for services. i also am in constant awe of the cost i see members from this site incurring. but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...you know? when in rome.....

jebatty, i think i'll try the brown rice concoction.

now...has anyone on this site ever heard of a "PASTY"? no it's not something an exotic dancer wears!!! just a local favorite

Huge crock of french onion soup going two days now, tonight's the night. That and bacon pannini's made with fresh sour dough (year old starter is finally turning out great bread!). Just missing the garden picked tomatoes really bad!

Oh yeah, Pasties! Just did a bunch for the freezer a couple weeks back, best use of a rutabaga I know of. Yum!

yooperdave said:
localLEE said:
Yur doin sumthin rite if'n U had tbone after 1 year layoff

t-boan wuz 3.99/pond. sure-imp wuz 5/pond kerrotz wuz .99/ fer 2 ponds taters wuz 1.58/ tan ponds. eye tink eye did purty good. duh meet iz nut ulweze dat prize. eye tri 2 leaf purty cun-serve-at LEE. ull bills r pade. hom lone iz pade til spreeng. wud piole iz beeg yet. ya, eye em dooen sumthin rite.

in one of your previous posts, you were amazed at the price that people charge for their services...i guess it was more of what people pay for services. i also am in constant awe of the cost i see members from this site incurring. but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...you know? when in rome.....

jebatty, i think i'll try the brown rice concoction.

now...has anyone on this site ever heard of a "PASTY"? no it's not something an exotic dancer wears!!! just a local favorite

If you haven't heard of a pasty, then you've never been to northern MI! But I still don't like them.

localLEE said:
U bastages made me hunry!!!

2-nite,,,, buttercup squish outa da cold storage, seasoned pork loin and brown rices with chi-knees ketchup. mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm !

Sounds amazenlee...Who duhcook?

smokinjay said:
localLEE said:

2-nite,,,, buttercup squish outa da cold storage, seasoned pork loin and brown rices with chi-knees ketchup. mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm !

LEEdaphatbastage,,,, dat's who!

localLEE said:
smokinjay said:
localLEE said:

LEEdaphatbastage,,,, dat's who!
mmmpresivleemmmmmmmmmhhhhhhh

[quote author="yooperdave" date="1295985294"

now...has anyone on this site ever heard of a "PASTY"? no it's not something an exotic dancer wears!!! just a local favorite[/quote]

Yup. I remember having them in SW Wisconsin some yrs back while on holiday.Found in a few other US spots as well.The immigrant lead & zinc miners from Cornwall,England & Wales who settled there brought the recipes over with them.Damn good if you ask me.Basically a turnover/pastry- but instead of fruit its got beef,sometimes onion,cabbage,or turnips with a bit o' gravy inside.One of these days I'll attempt to try my luck at making them,does anyone know if ready to bake pie crusts would work?

smokinjay said:
szmaine said:

Yes, I do. Shipping would be best for me - will send asap, general delivery.

szmaine said:
smokinjay said:
szmaine said:

Yes, I do. Shipping would be best for me - will send asap, general delivery.

If You where closer. I dont do stacking very well, but the volume would make up the difference!

yooperdave said:
just finished dinner. T-bone and butter/garlic fried shrimp potatoes and carrots. this is my one year anniversary of being laid off. man, do we ever need jobs around here. only thing available is minimum wage...

Bowl of homemade soup tonight. After christmas I stepped on the scale=230 ouch, so I cut out ice cream,cookies,bread and the big meals. Scale reads 217.5 this morning so why not go for 200.

You guys are making me hungry! :coolgrin:

zap

Chinese carry-out for me tonight. Moo-goo-gai-pan, fried rice, and won-ton soup.

Tomatos (home gown), Kidney beans (home gown), dried Habaneros (home grown), Venison (gift from a friend), some garlic, lemon juice and a bit of salt in the crock pot for 8 hours was supper chilli . . . burns a bit on exit

Someone say pastie ? ? ?
pastie.tn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.